Paintball gun - integral flashlight mount

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMkG...ntball-gun-review.htm&feature=player_embedded

As you can see, the SmartParts SP-1 is designed around an "inexpensive focused-beam flaslight" - read as: 2aa MiniMag incan. Why? The minimag LED models don't have the lanyard hole that this mount requires, in my experience.

In a word, laaaaame. This is CPF, and we can do better than that.

Anyone know where to get a Mini Mag tape switch? If the cord can be threaded out through a hole and onto the grip, you can get by with very short bursts on a li-ion at otherwise unsafe drive currents...

Then there's MiniBeast, a Welch Allyn 1274 driven by 2 LiIon in a Minimag. 400 plus lumens from a MM for a SHORT runtime.

Sadly, AuroraLite hotwire kits have been unavailable for a good while.

Alternately, what about opening up the slot for a 6P or E2? I think actually using a ScoutLight or such would be overkill.

I'd go for the Poor Man's Weaponlight from CAA, but the foregrip has a regulator mounted inside that foregrip, so that's non-negotiable.

Just throwing ideas out there to jump-start the discussion.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know how to hack a 5mW laser into a Minimag body? I've seen the 1-watt DVD laser ones, but that's a bit overkill (and illegal) for a laser sight.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all I think you should steer clear from the minimag mods for any tactical purpose.

That paintball marker gun has TONS of picatinny rails that you can mount to that weapon.

Go get a G&P pistol light and mod it with a P60 style lamp.

Then go get a green laser from DX for cheap. there you go. done.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part of me is delighted by the idea of integral lasers on stuff like this. It's a very anime-inspired delight, but it is what it is.

Maybe I'll just use the integral thing for a backup whatever, but part of me is thinking about hacking a laser into a Mini Mag. Another part of me is thinking about seeing what Milky can do to a Mini.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part of me is delighted by the idea of integral lasers on stuff like this. It's a very anime-inspired delight, but it is what it is.

I have always been the opposite, As much as streamlined guns with all the accessories built in are cool:cool:. It's just what most people go far:rolleyes:. I like the opposite end of the spectrum:D and I like my guns "well my one air soft gun so far" to look like a some sort of demented mad redneck scientist put it together:crazy: with everything taped, glued, strung, zip tied, puttied, screwed on, and even chained:devil:. Well reliability is at least never an issue:faint::crackup:!

Though now that I have my M90X I should just use that since it's like 4 times brighter then all those Maglites put together = has a momentary switch.

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would use the Picatinny rail, a pair of DX scope mounts, and any light that fits in them. I would look on DX for a tape switch and see which lights it fits and buy one of them.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice. But yes back to the minimag issue. I havent done the research but are there any mods for the minimag besides the nite-ize and mag 1watt led dropins?

I cant see that much light being put out by a minimag.

First of all the most important thing to realize is "what is the purpose of a tactical light"

Common misconception is for "illumination purposes" this is false. If you are going to use a light for a tactical purpose it is used as an offensive device. To blind and slightly disorient your target. In the case of a homeowner, you should know your house in and out in the dark. The light helps to blind any perp in your house, illuminating him/her is secondary. As a LEO or SWAT weapon mounted tactical lights are used for quick decisive action. Usually breaching and distraction combined with flashbangs. You do NOT want to search with a weapon mounted light as that risks putting the firearm pointed at something you might not want to shoot at.

granted this is getting more into the realm of firearms and good firearm handling. While the OP is talking about a paintbal gun which is a sport/hobby. HOWEVER my father taught me and I like to believe that good advice is always warranted to be shared. Treat ANY weapon/gun like a real gun. never aim at anything you dont intend to destroy/kill.

This is how I play airsoft. during games in indoor situations with low to no lights, people misuse lights and depend on their illumination function too much. The opposing force (OPFOR) can see the light and dial in on their loction and take them out. Also dont forget, when you use a weapon mounted light, often enough yoru OPFOR will shoot AT THE LIGHT. if your weapon is shouldered or located center mass, guess where the projectiles will hit. Either your light or your body.

Here is a good example at 19 secs into the video a guy pops out and shoots at the only thing he can see, my Surefire M952 with P91. Granted I have a weapon mounted light and I was lucky he didnt use full auto and only shot out the lens of my M952. I was not hit. (surefire sent me a new head after this)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUj_lS8Ljec&feature=channel_page

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always wanted to turn a Mini into a weapon light. There are mounts, tape switches and all sorts of things for MMs, I'd put in a TLE-5EX (I'd prefer the new K2 version), remove the stock switch and do the washer mod, maybe an aluminum medium orange peel reflector for more of a floody beam (CQB is my thing) and a glass lens. As long as nobody notices the led, there just going to thing it's a plain ol' MM with a weapon switch:crackup:

Excellent post and video Solscud007, I couldn't agree more, but a have seen SWAT shows like Kansas City SWAT where they do make entry with their lights on. I do not believe they ever have done that in a home where there is believed to be guns. I think it may have to do with overwhelming the occupants and making their presence known, which is why they yell "Kansas City Police Department! We have a warrant!" Then they bang down the door and do a bunch more yelling. They don't really rely much on stealth once they have made their way into a home, more of a shock and awe type of thing.

Last edited:

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
I cant remember what exactly its called but It was a MiniMag hotwire using 2 14500's, a metal reflector, a cermic bi-pin holder and a TL-3 (?) bulb ohh and of course a glass lens

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cant remember what exactly its called but It was a MiniMag hotwire using 2 14500's, a metal reflector, a cermic bi-pin holder and a TL-3 (?) bulb ohh and of course a glass lens

Oh that's the http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/auroralite_hotwire.htm Auroralite Hotwire, nice little fun light with over a 20 times the out put of a normal Minimag:naughty::twothumbs. I'd make one except, I don't know were to get the reflector:sigh:. Well if it's 7.2 volts and last 30 minuets so like 1.5 ah draw so 10.8 watts? Probably around 300 lumens I'm estimating:faint::D.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast

No I wouldn't think that was advertising your just trying to help Chrontius find a good upgrade to a weapons mounted Minimag, but anyway this still leads to the same problem….where to get the allusive reflector? The links you provided are everything you need to complete this mod:twothumbs…..except the reflector:sigh: "you linked to the stock plastic replacement reflector "I wish they had the AAA one:("" What I can't find is the aluminum reflector:candle: "remember plastic will melt in this setup:(".

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
GRRRR thanks for pointing that out, I figured that it would be the Al one but nooo oh well Im sure there are some floating around somewhere

Egsise

Banned
Here is a good example at 19 secs into the video a guy pops out and shoots at the only thing he can see, my Surefire M952 with P91. Granted I have a weapon mounted light and I was lucky he didnt use full auto and only shot out the lens of my M952. I was not hit. (surefire sent me a new head after this)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUj_lS8Ljec&feature=channel_page

CS:Snowcastle :santa:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYF45J2HlZ4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHNz-GKNNOU

Theres a Fenix TK11 R2 under the barrel, we did a test with Fenix TK20.... 330fps/100ms(measured) 0.2g plastic BB point blank range to the glass, not a scratch. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts