L2D reflector and lens dusty

I really don't want to nit pick I'm just trying to find out if this is normal and expected. In the last few days I got my first good light - an L2D - in the mail. The one thing that I at first shrugged off, but which keeps bothering me, is the fact that the reflector and inside of the lens seem to have a lot of dust on them. I'm not saying they're covered in it, but it is quite obvious and it seems even more significant based on the relatively small size of the reflector/lens compared to other flashlights. It's just that I'm not used to this sort of thing; I've never seen this much dust inside a $15 Target or Walmart light before and I expect better quality control on a $60 light than a $15 one. Any other experiences with this? My thought is - why go to the effort to have a multi coated glass lens if it's going to be dirty? Ordinarilly I'd just open it up myself and remove the dust but it's sealed and says I'll break my warranty if I open it. What do you think?

Thanks for any responses, and please tell me if I'm being anal.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for any responses, and please tell me if I'm being anal.
No you are being reasonable enough. Basically if the dust can be seen in the beam then it may be an issue, if not then its nothing to be concerned about unless its so bad that its noticeably affecting light output.

Can you see the dust behind the lens when the light is not switched on? I have had two L2D's, one had visible dust (but did not show it in the beam) while the other was fine.

Unless it is really bad I wouldn't worry about it (or open up the head), its a great light!