tk11 problem

big mick

Newly Enlightened
Hello, we have just received two Fenix TK11 and we have two different torches, one has a distinct yellow beam and the other is bright white, it does not matter if they are in standard mode or turbo and we have tried switching the batteries around and the contacts seem clean (they are both brand new) is this a common fault with fenix because im not impressed with there quality control.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF :wave:

Try looking for the word "tint" in the search function and have fun reading tons of material about this.

"Tint" is the shade of white a LED produces. None is really white, it is the eyes that do a lot of correcting. However, when you look at two white LEDs next to each other ... at least one of them won't look as good as before :green:

IMHO tint is way overrated and the "tint-craze" going on in these halls as well is useless. But most folks here will disagree with me :D

I am really not a defender of the Fenix brand, but this will happen with all flashlight manufacturers. It is the lottery, the luck of the draw.

bernie

big mick

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick reply, if Both lights are side by side on the same mode with the same batteries there is a very distinct difference in the "tint" ..... we also have two inova x5 and they seem very well matched, so we would assume the Fenix lights would be the same but alas' no.

Norm

Retired Administrator
big mick;2737808s this a common fault with fenix because im not impressed with there quality control.[/quote said:
:welcome: You will find variations in the colour of the beam whenever you compare two LED flashlights no matter what the brand.
You may find each of your flashlights acceptable when used individually and you may only notice the difference when comparing them side by side.
Where were they purchased? you may be able to exchange the one you not happy with.
Norm

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Mick ... with the tint of white LEDs you have limited control.

The companies do sort the LEDs in "bins" of different characteristics, where tint is one. You can also try looking for "bin" and you will find info to drown in. This is one of the biggest topics here.

In the old days of the Luxeon I LED, the "Lottery" was terrible with tints goung from violet to almost green. Nowadays we're much better off, where the Seoul P4 LEDs usually have a better tint control than the Cree XR-E, but the differences are minimal. They're all good.

If tint is critical for you, you might want to look for lights that use specific bins, thus increasing your chance to get the good one. Still a lottery though.
Or you can exchange the emitter, meaning the LED.

bernie

Sonic Blast

Newly Enlightened
I have a fenix tk11 and a t1 and the tints are different as well although using the same bulb Q5. The T1 is a yellow where as the TK11 has a blue/ white beam. I Love both colours the white throws better and makes contrasts between black and white more obvious where as the yellow i so much better for colour rendering. Go outside and you will see that the yellow will make the green look natural where as the white will give it a more ghostly bleached colour. Tint is a lottery you can't always win but i'm sure that if the tint is that bad then as long as the light isn't damaged the dealer will take it back as an exchange, but bear in minde that the next ond you get could have the dreaded squid green tint.

big mick

Newly Enlightened
So its just a common thing with the Q5 type emitter, well thats fine, I will just live with it as the tint is not that important......if we had just bought the one torch then it would not have been an issue, but hers is brighter than mine :sigh: and its just not fair. Many thanks for the promt replies.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The "Q5" is the brightness bin and tells you nothing about the tint. There are more designators for the tint bin of the LED, but as I don't care for tint I can't help you there.

I can understand though that it is completely unacceptable that you don't have the brightes torch :D
This place though gives you enough info about how to correct that problem asap. :poke:

bernie