So would you speak up or shut up if you see misrepresented item for sale?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you were browsing marketplace, you see someone put up something for sale, however in the description the seller misrepresent the item for sale, and described it better than it actually is, either intentionally or unintentionally, but that's beyond the point for now. Would you go correct the seller or would you keep quiet?

A while ago I saw someone had a knife for sale, the steel used was described to be on par with 154cm while I know for fact that it's more like 440a. For those of you not familiar with knives think the seller say a light has cree xre while it in fact it has luxeon III. I wanted to say something but eventually didn't for not wanting to trash the sale thread.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I was caught this way recently (as were a few other members), by the time I received the goods, the sale was old news, I didn't pursue it any further but I probably should have. The product was in working condition but not really as described.
Norm

I would private message the seller first. If that doesn't work I would contact a moderator before I jumped in a sale thread for an item I had no intention of buying.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would private message the seller first. If that doesn't work I would contact a moderator before I jumped in a sale thread for an item I had no intention of buying.

Yup. Sometimes you can PM the member and they'll be like "oh, didn't realise" and correct it. Of course, if they don't and still misrepresent the sale, then it's time to make the info public.

1dash1

Enlightened
Stuff happens ... see example.

In clear cases of misstatement of fact (or worse, deception), I think I would speak up. I think that correcting the facts best serves the integrity of the discussion board.

If it is merely an embellishment of the truth, I'd probably say nothing _ under the principle of caveat emptor.

As to when the line is crossed between "embellishment" and "deception", I guess you'll have to rely on your best judgment.

naked2

Enlightened
Here's one I chimed in on, because he started out with a price of $100 for a clone of a light that costs less than $35, and kept lowering it with no replies.

I just wanted to point out that his light was a copy, so he might see why it wasn't selling. I gave no link or mention of the price of the original, 'til he disagreed that his was a copy.

Then I mentioned the price, so someone unsuspecting could see that they could get a brand new genuine light for less money than a used copy.

I could only hope someone would do the same for me.

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's one I chimed in on, because he started out with a price of $100 for a clone of a light that costs less than $35, and kept lowering it with no replies.

I just wanted to point out that his light was a copy, so he might see why it wasn't selling. I gave no link or mention of the price of the original, 'til he disagreed that his was a copy.

Then I mentioned the price, so someone unsuspecting could see that they could get a brand new genuine light for less money than a used copy.

I could only hope someone would do the same for me.

Tactfully informing the seller of a description or function type error isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, What you posted in that thread about his price is considered trashing and is not permitted. I suggest editing your post.

Quoted from here in the BST forum policies.
Absolutely no "trashing the sales" posts! Have respect for the seller. If indeed the item is available for a ridiculously low price somewhere else and you absolutely feel the need to let others know, do it in private. If you think the seller is nuts (seriously – sometimes the seller may not be aware that the item is available brand new at a lower price elsewhere) you may want to politely inform them privately (E-mail or PM) so they may consider an adjustment to the price?

taiji

Enlightened
for myself: It depends on the value of item vs time and aggravation. Is it really worth it? If I think that it is substantial enough a pm to involved parties would be in order.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I saw the title of this thread and took a peek. The concern about misinformation certainly applies when the pocket book is out but in the spirit of CPF at large, misinformation is a concern as well. It can be dicey stepping in and attempting a correction w/o upsetting someone at times and of course it requires time and energy to compose and convey any correction.

I would imagine that the presumption about a forum like CPF is that truth prevails and information is accurate. Most of us realize that this is not always the case and not because of malice or intent typically but merely misinformation being posted under the belief of accuracy by the poster. The quality and veracity of information on these forums is up to us.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Stuff happens ... see example.

In clear cases of misstatement of fact (or worse, deception), I think I would speak up. I think that correcting the facts best serves the integrity of the discussion board.

If it is merely an embellishment of the truth, I'd probably say nothing _ under the principle of caveat emptor.

As to when the line is crossed between "embellishment" and "deception", I guess you'll have to rely on your best judgment.

Perfect example of an FNF troll (banned former CPF member) trashing a sales thread because they have a beef with the OP.

Two sides to every coin....