My new (DIY) 405nm Stingray II model :-)

Milos

Newly Enlightened
I don't visit here too often, but I thought I show off my new design as i know not everyone goes to all forums. Hope to here your honest critique, and suggestions for improvements. Some units will be ofered for sale in near future.

So .. well, its not so new since I was working and showing this host idea around since May, but now I built few units and it seems to be working out good.
Its been a slow ride, unlike my first generation of 405nm lasers where i used plastic astronomy flashlight and tried to sell as much as i could due to lack of mone. This time I had no pressure to build and sell as much as I can in order to make it through the end of the month. I am very happy and thankful I got new job, and I can just sit back and build these slowly and with joy, and take care of details more.

Anyhow, I developed 3 mods for this host (A, B, and C) which differ mainly in heat sink arrangement, and efficiency. I will be selling only the B version here as it is the best and most efficient. A, and C are very good too, but not best, and I will offer them only on ebay, and people who don't care as much.

Many of you can recognize the chasy (host). Its one of Flashlight series models. Ugy for a flashlight, but ok for laser light :) I actually picked it because of front end that reminded me of Stingrays !!, and it looked cool. It also has plenty of space inside for good heat sinks and or electronics for future upgrades.

Driverboard is all homemade with as my deal with BlueFusion went nowhere. That's another reason for this late release. I got pissed and started cutting and soldering J. It's a simple LM317T based voltage/current controller, with ceramic capacitor and diode to protect laser diode, and a pot for controlling the "juice".

Heat sink in B and C versions is also home made on my dads lathe. Him and I made a bunch this summer when I went home to visit. Its brass and aluminum (stuff we had handy). Fits perfectly in B version to transfer heat outside black shell.

Model A has reversed light bulb reflector in modified to fit aixiz module. Its slightly inferior in heat transfer to outside black cover.

It uses two RCR123 recharegable batteries. They will be included along with charger for sale.

They will come in 405nm and 658nm version and will be listed in buy sell trade forum soon.

Let me know what you think, I'll post some photos now..

Last edited:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The pictures you posted on that website are not showing; right-clicking and selecting "Show picture" does no good - the dreadful red "x" shows up again within a second or two. :green: