What's on the Horizon?

Nochrome

Newly Enlightened
I'm wondering if anyone can comment on what kind of cool stuff is coming around the corner in the world of LED technology. Mostly interested in flashlight type LED's but whatever you can expound on is fine with me. Is this the type of technology that only improves incrementally over time or is it a leaps and bounds kind thing?
Is it like the computer processor where folks like Intel dribble out upgrades over time so they can keep the upgrade cycle going and going?
Hope that's not an overly broad question but I'd be very interested to hear from people much more knowleagable than myself. Thanks for answering if you have the time.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do a simple search for the Surefire Optimus and Invictus. Not necessarily "around the corner" but, hopefully around the block :candle:

However, I think even more exciting than new LED tech are the new BATTERY CHEMISTRIES that will arise :devil:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
You're probably going to see a whole fleet of Cree MC-E lights come out in the next few months, essentially the P7 revolution all over again and then some. There'll be more focus on tint variations and high-color rendering LEDs. And as Bullfrog noted, the new LiMn chemistry batteries are going to shake things up a bit - expect a new wave of 600+ lumen hotwire lights in the 6-inches-and-under/EDC category.

Nochrome

Newly Enlightened
So Incans make a come back? I notice that the LED light section has a much larger number of viewers than the Incan light section. In the order of 10 to 1 usually.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
So Incans make a come back?

More specifically, very high-output and very inexpensive incan bulbs/drop-ins. Now that we have the battery technology to put pretty much any bulb in any flashlight, expect to see quite a few 500+ lumen Surefire 6Ps and the like..

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
very high-output and very inexpensive incan bulbs/drop-ins

Not sure where I read it, but supposedly we're supposed to be seeing power LEDs that are capable of being directly driven by 120VAC right off the die. This would reduce LED fixture complexity and cost to the point of some CFLs.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Not sure where I read it, but supposedly we're supposed to be seeing power LEDs that are capable of being directly driven by 120VAC right off the die. This would reduce LED fixture complexity and cost to the point of some CFLs.
Those already exist but I would think flicker would be a problem unless they put driver circuitry on the same MPCB the LED is mounted to.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
And as Bullfrog noted, the new LiMn chemistry batteries are going to shake things up a bit -

Which reminds me.....when are we going to start seeing true, capacitor driven hand helds? I want to be able to charge my flashlight in 10 seconds.....

Nochrome

Newly Enlightened
I do prefer the color and quality of light from a bulb but I figured I might as well give up and persue the LED route cause of the short run times with bulbs and the requirement for tons of voltage ie lots of batteries. I'm glad to hear about a resurgence of the filament bulb.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Which reminds me.....when are we going to start seeing true, capacitor driven hand helds? I want to be able to charge my flashlight in 10 seconds.....

It'll be a while for that yet; pretty much all flashlight tech is about what the consumer can afford, and there's no way to make a capacitor light that's as inexpensive as a standard battery flashlight for now. There are clearly a few people still working on the idea though..

I do prefer the color and quality of light from a bulb but I figured I might as well give up and persue the LED route cause of the short run times with bulbs and the requirement for tons of voltage ie lots of batteries. I'm glad to hear about a resurgence of the filament bulb.

Then the news isn't good for you - the LiMn wave is all about runtime-be-damned ludicrous-extreme output. LiMn cells don't last nearly as long as their Li-Ion or primary counterparts, but they do provide a huge amount of current (8C/4+ amps), which means the dragstrip-hotwire bulbs that formerly needed big batteries and a suitably big host can now fit in anything. It's all about output and nothing to do with runtime or bulb life.

The upshot is that LiMn cells can power the super-high-output LEDs just as well. How about a P7 in a Fenix P1? :eek:oo:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It'll be a while for that yet; pretty much all flashlight tech is about what the consumer can afford,

The 'afford' part of the equation is due, to a significant degree, to the fact that the Chinese can make cheap, high out-put chemical batteries very cheaply because of labor cost and especially lax environmental regulations. If chemical batteries were priced accordingly (aka, far more expensive) and not treated as a throw-away cheap source of immediate power we'd see FAR more technological advances with capacitor storage.

comozo

Enlightened
From http://optics.org/cws/home
Cree embeds phosphors at LED die level
The chip maker says that blue-emitting GaN die can be converted to broad wavelength white emitters by material deposited in etched trenches.

gt5oh

Newly Enlightened
is there a list anywhere of the least bright to most bright LED?

Im pretty noob but Ive seen Cree P4, Cree Q4, Cree Q5, Q5 WC, etc...

I cant tell what is new technology and what is older, whats the newest?