What's the deal with camo flashlights?

concept0

Enlightened
So my first maglite, almost 20 years ago, was camouflage minimag. But I never quite understood it... Can anyone explain the purpose of a camo flashlight?

Seems to me that if it's on, the light would be a lot more noticable than the flashlight itself. So the camouflage would only make sense if you're carrying the light around while off. In which case it would be in a pocket or holster.

So does it just look cool? Or is there a purpose?

These are the big questions...

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do a search in google to see how many people are hunters.....then take a business and marketing class.....and then you will understand how things work in the real world from running a business point of view........no disrespect, just trying to help.

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think camo lights are a bad idea if you drop it in the woods and its of its going to be hard to find...

Oh, obviously if the manufacture produces a good light and the user losses it after putting it down out side then they may be able to get the costumer to by another one of the same lights:ohgeez:. It's sort of like having a black colored light, I mean if you didn't EDC a light and the power went off, how easy is it going to be to find one in a foreign environment:shrug::thumbsdow? The answer is to get a yellow, orange, or silver metallic / mirror finished light:thumbsup:.

But then again I could just be some sort of weirdo:p since most of us have so many lights we trip over them, who needs to see them:D:laughing:;)!

Last edited:

concept0

Enlightened
Do a search in google to see how many people are hunters.....then take a business and marketing class.....and then you will understand how things work in the real world from running a business point of view........no disrespect, just trying to help.

:confused:

I think you misunderstood my question... I understand that it is hunters that are buying these things (along with the rest of the camo products in existence).

My question is how a camo flashlight is useful to a hunter? It's either:

1. in a holster or pocket (which is probably camouflage itself) and therefore unseen
-or-
2. out and turned on - in which case it's pretty noticable because of the light, regardless of the color of the flashlight

and like american lockpicker suggests, a camouflage flashlight would be really easy to lose...

BTW, just because you say "no disrespect" doesn't give you the license to make rude comments and assumptions about me. If you want to be rude, just be rude. Don't candy frost it...

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a good question from a practical point of view. If the light is in a holster or pocekt it is not going to be seen and as mentioned if dropped it will be harder to find. I can't imagine that any other colour of flashlight if visible on the body would spook or warn an animal especially if you are dozens of yards away. Don't some hunters wear bright orange vests?

Skyeye

Enlightened
What you gotta realize is that "Camo" has become a lifestyle.

I wore it during Vietnam and never again since.

Enough said.:rolleyes:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep as skyeye says, camo is now a lifestyle. I wear camo cause it belonged to my brother when he was active army and nat guard. In honor of his duty i wear camo. Plus I play airsoft and I am a weekend warrior. i play the part and wear camo.

Just like women and clothes. Accessorize, accessorize, accessorize.

Some patterns are very popular. I prefer the more tacticool patterns like CADPAT, DPM, Multicam.

Many hunters love the Mossy Oak Realtree camo pattern.

Look at the Surefire C2-CJ and E2-CJ both highly sought after collectible surefire lights. Why? partly due to the low production run and the fact that they arent made anymore. Secondarily they look cool.

It is a personal choice. Some people like it some dont. But yes it is a marketing issue.

lightplay22

Enlightened
If your clothes, 4-wheeler, jeep,4-wheeler trailer, bow, rifle, tent, etc, are all camo, then a camo flashlight fits right in. If you did drop a camo light in the woods it would seem finding it would be much more difficult than say black or some other solid color.

Guy's Dropper

Enlightened
Whatever I am doing, I always prefer a colored light. I will even take a bright-colored light over a black light most of the time. If your flashlight is going to see use in a ow light environment, shouldn't you at least be able to see it? I find it funny how all of the light manufacturers are always pushing their products off as OMG1337t4cticalkillpeoplewithyourlight, when a large portion of their sales are not necessarily to police/military. I'd like to see high end flashlight manufacturers offer more bright colored lights like the Surefire G2 in yellow. Now if we could get them to market a portion of their lights as OMG133tS4veLivesProRescuelights.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Seems to me that if it's on, the light would be a lot more noticable than the flashlight itself. So the camouflage would only make sense if you're carrying the light around while off. In which case it would be in a pocket or holster.

So does it just look cool? Or is there a purpose?

These are the big questions...

I would say in the case of a flashlight, the points you make are spot on and it's just for looks.

Reading this reminded me of a hilarious camo item I recently saw in a Cabela's catalog . . . A full camo outfit for a BABY! :crackup: :crackup: "Honey, have you seen the baby?" I sent it in to Jay Leno but haven't seen it on "Headlines" yet.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
All but one of mine are black. I'd never really thought what an impractical colour this is, but then again I usually know exactly where they are. Maybe a bit of fluorescent tape would be handy in some situations.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that's where the marketing comes in. People buy a light, then lose it... then they have to buy ANOTHER light. Cha Ching!

american lockpicker

Enlightened
Whatever I am doing, I always prefer a colored light. I will even take a bright-colored light over a black light most of the time. If your flashlight is going to see use in a ow light environment, shouldn't you at least be able to see it? I find it funny how all of the light manufacturers are always pushing their products off as OMG1337t4cticalkillpeoplewithyourlight, when a large portion of their sales are not necessarily to police/military. I'd like to see high end flashlight manufacturers offer more bright colored lights like the Surefire G2 in yellow. Now if we could get them to market a portion of their lights as OMG133tS4veLivesProRescuelights.

I know Pelican(Peli) does that with there yellow coloured lights.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still waiting on ACU pattern lights.

Saw a Fulton light with ACU patterning the other day.

-Trevor

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still waiting on ACU pattern lights.

Saw a Fulton light with ACU patterning the other day.

-Trevor
Maglite has their 2AA MiniMag and 3xD Mag available in a digital ACU style camo now. I picked up the MiniMag version a couple of months ago.