Suggestions: Compact Precision Heavy Duty LED

OneBrightKid

Newly Enlightened
I'm fairly new to the forums but after reading through a few threads and not finding the answer I was looking for I thought I'd just ask. Just as the title says I'm looking for a very focused beam, heavy duty, compact led. I am a meter reader and I will be using it for spotting meters from 20-30 yards. It needs to be a very focused beam and very bright so I can see the little dials and arrows on the meter face. I will be using it in low light (i.e. dusk, pre-dawn) and at night. I would prefer a thumb button on the base as oposed to a screw on but it's not necessary. It needs to be easily carried on a belt or in a fanny pack, and have a decent battery life (2 to 4 hours preferred). Most of all it needs to be pretty much indestructible. I can guarantee it will be dropped, scraped, soaked, muddied etc... Price is not really a concern, but I would like to stay in the $50 to $150 range. Hope thats enough info and I look forward to your responses.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
ever considered a headlamp? That would leave you hands free and less worries about dropping it and you could use a belt pack and get a spare battery pack to swap out.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes you have to read through glass so a headlamp would cause too much reflections. For cheap and throwy you're probably best served with a Lowe's Taskforce 2C but not having experience with true high power led lights, when you say bright on here it means blindingly bright, the kind where an individual flashlight can light up an entire room. A cheap DX light would be just as good, I like my Romisen RC-M4 on 18650's I get about 5-6 hours of runtime and it's plenty bright to light up any dial within reading distance.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I assume you are not too familiar with the capabilities of the latest high power LED lights. Like StarHalo said, "There's a huge number of our modern flashaholic lights that would easily fit your needs". Unless you really like the idea of super throw I think the "throwers" may be a bit of overkill for your needs. These, for the most part, will be fairly expensive (over $50) and are likely to require at least 2 CR123 batteries, which could also get expensive. Another factor would be size. If you are writing down meter readings it might be nice to have a light small enough to temporarily "mouth hold". I think a 1 or 2 AA multi-level light, rated at least to 100 lumens would serve your needs. Using high to spot the meter, low or medium to read, write, and walk about, you should get enough battery life. Too many good to great choices to list here, so check out some of the numerous reviews, and fire some more questions this way. You'll get plenty of knowledgeable opinions.

Geoff

Toaster

Enlightened
+1 to the Fenix TK20. It's perfect for what you're asking. Simple to use, built extremely tough, excellent thrower, and runs on common AAs. Do a search on this forum and it'll turn up plenty of information about this light. You can order it from 4Sevens with coupon code 'CPF8' for an additional 8% discount.

20-30 yards is not very far and you don't need or want the most powerful LED available. If you get something too powerful you'll just find the hotspot will overwhelm your target, making it difficult to read.

SEMIJim

Enlightened
60-90 feet isn't that far for a modern LED light. Plus, for wandering-about in peoples' yards, I would think flood would be as important as throw--if not more so. Since you will be operating in varying ambient light levels, want to see things kinda far away, and use it close up, you'll want multiple light levels. Personally, I'm a fan of LumaPower products. My LumaPower LM31 has become my "go to" light. Check out this Lumapower Encore Review - 18650-sized EDC - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, etc.. I would think either the Encore, ConnXion or IncenDio would do nicely for your application. The Encore will give you the most light and longest runtime, and, since you're talking about using a holster, anyway, the larger size shouldn't be an issue.

Battery Junction, a terrific store, has all three: http://www.batteryjunction.com/lululudlpm1f.html :twothumbs

Hlorrithi

Newly Enlightened
I think an inova XO would suit you, the TIROS model, which can still be had in some online stores, which is a proper spotlight with not much sidespill at all...proper cat burglars wet dream....the newer reflector version has much more spill and I'm sure will be bright enough, I have both and the latter is more useful.
The thing with the XO's, and it seems most Inovas, is they are seriously over engineered and tough, made from a solid bar of aluminium, not extruded and you'd have to be trying hard to break one in my experience.
My reflector model fell 7' off the roof of my truck onto concrete,and then my buddy stood on it before I had got down,, and only the tailcap had a scratch...it's type III hard anodised too, and by god is it tough.

I now EDC a LedLenser "rechargeable tactical light", and it's adjustable from spot to flood,throws amazingly outdoors for an LED, perfect white light and way brighter than the Inova's, but not even close to the heavy duty build and strength.

I'm sure surefires are built as well as Inova's, I don't have any, but Inova's are very reasonably priced IMO.