Smooth and textured reflector for LED?

nintendo64

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering how much difference would be between a smooth and textured reflectors. Most DealExtreme LED (Cree/SSC) lights come with textured reflectors, does anyone know why? Would a smooth reflector make any difference?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the Luxeon I/III came out years ago they produced a very nice beam compared to the cheap incans whose beams are full of artifacts. Some incan torch makers use faceted reflectors to smooth out the beam.
Faceted and textured reflectors make for a wider hotspot, smoother beam but less throw.

The Cree XRE came out with twice the brightness, it had one major drawback. The beam was ringy. There was a dark donut between the hotspot and spill light. To smooth out this ringiness somewhat the premium torch makers used textured reflectors (very difficult to make a faceted metal reflector). The copycat DX manufacturers monkey see monkey do without knowing why and sometimes put textured reflectors on everything they make.

Luxeon I/III, Rebel, K2, SSC-P4: Smooth reflectors work fine as long as they are matched to the LED.

Cree XRE: Textured reflector preferred to smooth out ringiness for close in work. This is less critical when used outside for long distance spotting as the distance object is illuminated by the hotspot and the near areas are lit by the spill and it is dark in between with both smooth and textured reflectors. So people who need throw will use smooth, and textured is best for everything else.
SSC-P7, MCE: These are 4 die LEDs and the gaps between the dies cause artifacts in the hotspot so textured reflectors are preferred.

nintendo64

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info, it clears things up for me. I'm looking for cree that will be used at distance of 5 or more metres, so I should go for a smooth reflector. the longer distance the better.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should go with a smooth reflector on lights that are used at over 50 meters. At 5 meters I'd rather have a smooth floody light like you'd get from a heavily textured reflector or wide flood optic.