Anyone still use the nitrolin G2 head with LED's

lightinsky

Enlightened
I was wondering if it is a bad idea to use my Cree XRE P4 drop in DX1447. I have the aluminum head with lexan but for some reason really still like the look and feel of the original nitrolin head. Mix and match of nitrolin and aluminum looks strange to me. Anyone else feel this way too.

shahzh

Newly Enlightened
My SF G2 black is with the G&P aluminum head and cree R2 from DX.....looks cool for me.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep the G2 nitro heads on with my malkoffs M60Ls - much easier on any other items that are in whatever bag my G2s gets tossed in - aluminum can do some damage!

Running an M60 is another story...

lightinsky

Enlightened
I keep the G2 nitro heads on with my malkoffs M60Ls - much easier on any other items that are in whatever bag my G2s gets tossed in - aluminum can do some damage!

Running an M60 is another story...

How many lumens is the M60L out the front and how much is the M60. The Cree P4 I have from DX #1447 I think is 100 out the front lumens.

streetmaster

Enlightened
I do have a DX P4 module in my Camo G2, but I don't run it for long periods of time. The nitrolon doesn't allow the heat to escape the LED, it's not good for it. So, no it's not recommended, but if it's a cheap LED and you really don't care if you ruin it eventually, it's your choice. I won't put my SureFire P60L in there, just because I like it too much.:grin2:

lightinsky

Enlightened
I do have a DX P4 module in my Camo G2, but I don't run it for long periods of time. The nitrolon doesn't allow the heat to escape the LED, it's not good for it. So, no it's not recommended, but if it's a cheap LED and you really don't care if you ruin it eventually, it's your choice. I won't put my SureFire P60L in there, just because I like it too much.:grin2:

Ok thanks for the input. I guess I'll put back on the surefire G2L aluminum head they sent me 2 months ago. If I put the alum head back on and then put the FM35 on it will that affect the heat dissapation.

MaxIcon

Newly Enlightened
On several of my DX drop-ins, the spring diameter was a little too large, and woudn't make reliable contact in my G2s with nitrolon heads. I had to put copper adapter rings in to get it to make reliable contact with the conductive sleeve. My 6P had no problems with them.

lightinsky

Enlightened
On several of my DX drop-ins, the spring diameter was a little too large, and woudn't make reliable contact in my G2s with nitrolon heads. I had to put copper adapter rings in to get it to make reliable contact with the conductive sleeve. My 6P had no problems with them.

Fortunately I didn't have that problem. It seems like DX drop ins can vary in diameter.

ja10

Enlightened
I was wondering if it is a bad idea to use my Cree XRE P4 drop in DX1447. I have the aluminum head with lexan but for some reason really still like the look and feel of the original nitrolin head. Mix and match of nitrolin and aluminum looks strange to me. Anyone else feel this way too.

I think the Aluminum and Nitrolon combo is a little odd looking. At some point, I plan on snagging a 6P body and tailcap and turning my G2L into a P6. For now, I leave it as is because of the heat issue.

Bradlee

Enlightened
I'm with you on the Nitrolon + Aluminum combo... it just looks off. Somebody needs to do a bench runtime test with some dropins in the stock head to see how long they last. Anyone? :poke:

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
For what it's worth, I run (4) different G2's, all with plastic heads and Malkoff M60's.

I don't run any from full charge to dead battery, but I use them as I see fit, with no concession to heat sinking.

I love the G2, and I prefer it to be all plastic. Except that I did replace the lexan lens with UCL in all of them.

Good luck with your decision............Frank

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I wanna use the nitrolon heads as a nitrolon light with an al head is ridiculous and doesn't make that much sense IMHO.

But I only use the P60L, no high-powered drop-ins.

Once Malkoff sells the M60W again, I'll try that out, in an al light.

bernie

lightinsky

Enlightened
I wanna use the nitrolon heads as a nitrolon light with an al head is ridiculous and doesn't make that much sense IMHO.

But I only use the P60L, no high-powered drop-ins.

Once Malkoff sells the M60W again, I'll try that out, in an al light.

bernie

I hear ya. Do you think if I run the DX1447 Cree P4 with the nitrolin head rather than aluminum it will hurt the led. I don't know if it is 140 lumens but could be less. Is there a cutoff to what is recommended in lumens to use with a all nitrolin G2?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I have no idea about those drop-ins, but when I see that with the very conservative drive current of the P60L the thermal regulation kicks in in the G2 ... I don't wanna have anything brighter in there. I think there is a good reason why SF went with the al heads there.

bernie

lightinsky

Enlightened
I have no idea about those drop-ins, but when I see that with the very conservative drive current of the P60L the thermal regulation kicks in in the G2 ... I don't wanna have anything brighter in there. I think there is a good reason why SF went with the al heads there.

bernie

I agree. I'm sure surefire engineers have delayed production of the P61L because it poses heat problems especially in a nitrolin light. I think that 80-100 lumens is more than enough light to keep things well lit and not have to risk hurting the led in a G2 nitrolin light.

concept0

Enlightened

bernie

Gene said that his L series drop-ins will be just fine in a all-plastic G2, and I've never heard anything to the contrary. I've also heard that the regular M60 will be okay from a few different CPF members.

It's probably because of the massive heatsink. There's a reason that his drop-ins cost almost 2x as much as the SF ones.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The heatsink is of no help if the heat can't get ou the flashlight, the huge mass of the Malkoff will just store more heat untill it overheats.
Gene posts a warning in that tenor on his site (for the M60 and M60W), and I sure won't ignore that. :D Once I get my hands on a M60W, that is. :)

bernie

roymail

Enlightened
Surefire G2 + M60L = great all around light. Not one hint of a problem with heat or anything else! A DX6090 ran a bit warm but nothing that bothered me. It was only drawing approx 600ma while the M60L is approx 350ma. Nothing to worry about. :grin2: