3d Mag with EverLED versus Lightwave 4000

tech

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone put these two light head-to-head?
According to the LightSite, the 4000 is 178 lumens/m2 at 1m.
How does this compare to an EverLED in a 3dMag?

T.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I don't have either one, but I am going to answer anyway . . .

This is based on having many, multiple LED lights and many Luxeon Star lights.

The Mag with the Everled will give you a more focused beam, with more throw, but will be narrower, and the LW 4000 will give a broader light, but not have the throw.

Take that for what it is worth, as I have neither!

garyoNC

Newly Enlightened
You can take it from a 4000 owner that the 4000 is a great light! I have so many MAGs and I also wanted to mod some of them but by the time you buy the parts and do the mod, in my opinion, it is just not worth it, cost wise. You can buy 4000s and Inova X5Ts all day long in the lower to mid $40 price range. Unless you have a special need I recommend you buy something new. Good luck.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoa... 178 lumens at 1M for an LW4000? I'm having a hard time swallowing that. The LW is bright, but NOT that bright. You're talking about something almost as bright as a P91, and the LW is certainly not that bright.

Edit: Ahh, I see it's Lux, not lumens... that makes much better sense...

I don't have an EverLed (yet), so I can't really comment on it, but if some of my SE LS mods in Mags say anything, you'll get a pretty good focus from the EverLed to near pinpoint. The LW4K is a wide spreading beam.

BrightLight

Newly Enlightened
Doing a quick comparison of both: the Lighwave 4000 spreads the light out a lot more, illuminating a much larger area (about a hemisphere). The Mag 3d/EverLED is much brighter in the center, and has a lot less spread.

You didn't ask, but the ElectroLumens Blaster VI (yeah, that's a fair comparison) completely blows away the Mag 3D in size and brightness of center spot, but it doesn't illuminate the near edge of the hemisphere quite as well as the LW4K.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I have both lights and I agree with the replies. For walking/hiking I prefer a broad beam, which satisfies my peripheral vision and lets me feel that I'm walking within a lighted environment, as opposed to following behind a narrow beam of light compressed on all sides by darkness.

Brightnorm

BigMac

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FalconFX said:
Whoa... 178 lumens at 1M for an LW4000? I'm having a hard time swallowing that. The LW is bright, but NOT that bright. You're talking about something almost as bright as a P91, and the LW is certainly not that bright.

Edit: Ahh, I see it's Lux, not lumens... that makes much better sense...

[/ QUOTE ]

Mabey I am not doing this right, but I read that lux equals lumens divided by distance squared. If the LW4K has 178 lux at one meter, wouldn't that mean that it had 178 lumens (178 lux = l78 lumens / one meter squared)? Or mabey does that rule not apply to LED's?

BrightLight

Newly Enlightened
Oh, boy! Time for a math lesson.

lumens is a measure of total light output. lux is a measure of how much light falls in a (small) area.

Given a candle (or something similar) with no focusing, light goes equally in all directions. Therefore, at a distance of 2 meters, the light hitting a given area (of the inside of the 2-meter radius sphere) is 1/4 that of the light hitting the same area on a 1-meter sphere, because the total surface area is 4 times as large and the total amount of light is the same. Therefore, when measuring lux, it's necessary to give the distance from the source.

If a light were focused to a pinpoint, it would be possible for a .01 lumen light to measure 100 lux at that pinpoint (and 0 lux outside it). Two lights might have the same amount of lumens, and the focused one a lot more lux; or the same lux, and the unfocused one a lot more lumens.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
BigMac,
There's very little correlation from lumens to lux. Lumens is a spherical measurement of all light emitted by a source. Lux is a measurement of the intensity of light at a given distance, in this case, 1 meter. Lux is loosely akin to candlepower.

Having said that, there's no way a Lightwave 4000 is brighter than a Surge (105 lumens)...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

BigMac

Enlightened
Thanks guys. I have read alot about it on websites but this makes it much easier to understand.