Solarforce L-2 18650 Compatibility?

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well am I right that there are 2 style bodies of the Solarforce L-2 flashlight, one taht accepts 18650s and one that does not?

for example KD & DX lists 18650 specific lights and Lighthound sells two kind of bodies?

A flashlight like that has passed through my hands but I sold it before positively noting that accepts 18650. It was the single mode R2 multipower version...

The thing is that afriends want to get one but want to have a rechargable option (yes I know about the rcr123s). And assembling one from parts though optimum is beyond his budget....

So are there any multipower L-2s that have a wide enough tube for 18650s?

Thanks, Kostas

oronocova

Enlightened
Hi,

Right now you can get a SolarForce L2 with an 1x18650 body. I believe some of the L2s are not 18650 compatable (like mine) so make sure of what model you are getting.

Also, last week I was in contact with SolarForce via e-mail and they said they were releasing an extension tube. This tube, in conjuntion with one of their bodies would allow 2x, 3x, 4x, .... 18650. Just add as many extensions as you want. They told me it would be a few weeks before it was released and then the dealers would have it shortly thereafter.

EDIT - It appears the tube "L2-E18" is already listed on SolarForce's homepage so hopefully it won't be long before we can get one.
HTH
-Jon

Last edited:

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thing is that afriends want to get one but want to have a rechargable option (yes I know about the rcr123s). And assembling one from parts though optimum is beyond his budget....

So are there any multipower L-2s that have a wide enough tube for 18650s?

Thanks, Kostas

Actually the Solarforce L2 (18650 version) is very cheap in comparison to other similar lights. Just order the light empty without the battery and lamp and then order the 18650 cell and lamp of your choice separately.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthound.com has the the new Solarforce L2 body that takes the 18650. I have one in hand with the 18650 battery in it and it works fine. Now to get the Malkoff P7 direct drive module for it, where are you Gene???

The original extension tubes will not fit 18650's through them. Will have to wait for the new wider interior diameter extension tubes. Will require 2 to take another 18650. You will probably need battery magnets as well if you use the flattop 18650's.

This will make for a very reliable low budget 18650 type flashlight host.

Now if we can get Solarforce to make bezels with AR coatings on the glass, that would be great.

flip

Enlightened
I think I'm going to order one of the L2 18650 bodies tonight. I already have a Solarforce extension. My plan is to use the extension to allow use of 2 AA batteries if for some reason I run out of charged 18650s.

oronocova

Enlightened
... Will have to wait for the new wider interior diameter extension tubes. Will require 2 to take another 18650. ...

The L2-E18 tube on their website looks like it will hold one 18650. I.E. 1tube=1extra18650. This is also what they described in their e-mail to me. Should be pretty cool and will give a lot of options for their L2 flashlight, which is a great light.

I'm just patiently waiting for this extension to become available from a reputable dealer.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually the Solarforce L2 (18650 version) is very cheap in comparison to other similar lights. Just order the light empty without the battery and lamp and then order the 18650 cell and lamp of your choice separately.

i know I know..but try assembling a flashlight from parts from half the wolrd round (I am located in Greece) and the postage alon can kill your paycheck!

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
i know I know..but try assembling a flashlight from parts from half the wolrd round (I am located in Greece) and the postage alon can kill your paycheck!

The light itself is complete, just have to get one or two 18650 cells, (one spare is a good idea) a charger and a D26 drop-in that runs well on the 3.7V single cell.

I understand about the postage situation, not sure about Greece but I always get things to be sent by Global Priority Mail from the US to Australia or pick the cheapest postage option from the dealers web site.

My Solarforce has a AW 18650 cell and Dereelight 5AQ3 (three level) drop-in in it.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
you are right in general but is the 18650 L-2 compatible with 2xCR123? KD says so in the specs but i do not trust them...and Solarforce has not responded in any e-mail....

BTW my friend started with a 50euro budget...so if the KD is single route for flashlight and charger/batts

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
you are right in general but is the 18650 L-2 compatible with 2xCR123? KD says so in the specs but i do not trust them...and Solarforce has not responded in any e-mail....

BTW my friend started with a 50euro budget...so if the KD is single route for flashlight and charger/batts

Yes the L2 module that fits the 18650 also fits 2xCR123 batteries, I have tested mine, its fine!

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the L2 module that fits the 18650 also fits 2xCR123 batteries, I have tested mine, its fine!

how about RCR123?

Now I am perplexed....what kind of drivers exist? SLF shows 3 in the website...a multipower single mode, a multimode multipower and a multimode single one..where did you purchase your flashlight from?

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget that the L2 is just a frame/body for what you want to put in it. You can use either the single 18650 3.7/4.2v cell or two CR123 cells for 6v or two RCR123 cells for 8.4/9v. The important part is that you match the choice of cells with the lamp unit that you want to use in the light. So, first choose the lamp (there are many to choose from) and then get the right cells for it.....

oronocova

Enlightened
Just an update, Lighthound has the 18650 extension listed as out of stock. Should be available pretty quick I guess, or hope.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
how about RCR123?

Now I am perplexed....what kind of drivers exist? SLF shows 3 in the website...a multipower single mode, a multimode multipower and a multimode single one..where did you purchase your flashlight from?

The RCR123 battery is the same size as the CR123, it will take 2 of those as well. There are many modules that will drop in Solarforce sells several but any of the replacement for what is called the P60 size lamp module or the D26 size module goes into this unit. Anything that is listed as fitting into the Sure Fire 6P or 9P host will fit this. Get the one you want for the voltage range you plan to use.

The Gene Malkoff M60 and M30 modules will fit this. You could run the M30 off of 1 18650 battery or an M60 off of 2 CR123 or RCR123s in the same host.

Ziemas

Enlightened
I just ordered a SolarForce 18650 host and pill from LightHound. Shipping to Latvia was less than 6 euro.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RCR123 battery is the same size as the CR123, it will take 2 of those as well. There are many modules that will drop in Solarforce sells several but any of the replacement for what is called the P60 size lamp module or the D26 size module goes into this unit. Anything that is listed as fitting into the Sure Fire 6P or 9P host will fit this. Get the one you want for the voltage range you plan to use.

The Gene Malkoff M60 and M30 modules will fit this. You could run the M30 off of 1 18650 battery or an M60 off of 2 CR123 or RCR123s in the same host.

MrGMAN

I know about the P60 style modules...I was refering to the Solarforce drop-ins exclusively and the module's - that is found in the 18650 body - compatibility with RCRs.

What exactly is that modules range?

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Solarforce single mode module runs from 3.7 to 13 volts. It will work very well off of 2 18650's with long runtime.

naked2

Enlightened
Here is an alternative to the SolarForce, although member Ig confirmed that it is NOT SureFire compatible :shakehead. It's an UltraFire L2, complete with a single mode R2 P60/D26 dropin for twenty bucks including shipping.

I have this charger, and it works great for 18650s; $7.79.

And these TrustFire cells would work fine with that light and charger; $10.49 a pair.

And if you want to use 2x RCR123/16340, get two pairs of these TrustFire cells; $4.90 a pair.

I also have this UltraFire charger, and it works great for RCR123s/ 16340s; $11.54.

But if you want to use both size cells, you'll need this UltraFire charger, also works great; $12.46. The only thing is that to charge the RCR123s/16340s with this one, you'll need 15mm spacers, and DX doesn't sell them. BTW, both of these UltraFire chargers are the exact same ones AW sells at CPFMP.

This DSD charger will charge both sizes without spacers; $6.71, but I've never used one, so I don't know how good it works.

All from the same website, all in the same package, all free shipping!

Last edited:

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I got that Ultrafire linked above, would the finish match the 18650 extension available from solarforce? Also, is it possible to get the 18650 extension and forward clicky in chrome finish?