Li bat does not fit Palight!

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have 2 palight selectors. i bought a lithium 9 volt about a month ago, and just tried to install it: the Li bat is MUCH larger than the alkie!

i got it about 3/4 into the palight, and could barely get it back out!

oh, well. for the price of one Li, i can get a bunch of alkies anyway. the Li will be going in the smoke detector.

Bob

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
wait--i removed the label, and it just squeezes in--but it is tight.

well, my pal now has juice intil 20122.

Bob

Inverse Square

Newly Enlightened
Good info considering my current search!! I wonder if different brands of lithium 9V have differing dimensions?

Empath

Flashaholic
The different size is deliberate. Some manufactures don't want lithiums used in their product. The larger size permits a manufacturer to lock it out by restricting the size of the battery compartment.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks empath, i was wondering about that.

though i hadnt worn out the original battery, i had used it almost nightly to read with on low, for 30-60 minutes. plus i left it on low at night for 8 hours x 2 nights while at a hotel in chicago. add a few chores around the house, etc.

i guesstimate that i have over 100 hours on that bat!

i measured voltage at 7.4 volts, and it was still humming right along.

the Li was more of a curiosity than anything else. as i stated above, it really isnt an economical solution. it has twice the capacity of an alkie, and is lighter. but, you can buy perhaps 4 or more alkies for the same price.

i had contacted Palights, and they stated Li was fine. the light does appear just a bit brighter.

oh, and the only Li 9 volt i was able to easily find was called "Ultralife".

Bob<--need coffee...im rambling.