Bad anodizing on Streamlight nano? (w/pic)

Paul520

Newly Enlightened
This nano has been used for 6 weeks now.
rw2beb.jpg

Last edited:

Ziemas

Enlightened
It looks to me that your keys are causing it. Look at the small gouges in the light; no form of anodizing would protect from that kind of damage.

Paul520

Newly Enlightened
Ya, for sure the keys caused it. But only in 6 weeks... In 6 months maybe the batteries will be exposed.:D

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like the anodizing is really bad. A friend of mine has a Fenix E01 on his key chain for half a year now and I doesn't even looks near as bad as this one.

rayman

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
I looked around the net for some info on it... Can't find anything on the anodize, so i'm guessing it doesn't really have the real deal.. Probably just some form of paint.

I'd think even Type 2 anodize would protect longer than 6 weeks, even with keys..

Norm

Retired Administrator
I carried a solitaire for about 3 years on my keys and it wasn't as bad as that.
With the amount of dings the aluminium must be very soft.
Norm

Skyeye

Enlightened
My Nano is only about 1 month old and it too shows scars. I am convinced it's the keys that are grinding off the finish. Think of how many times a day the keys grate against the little light.:thinking: Mine still works as new though.:D

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
This nano has been used for 6 weeks now.
rw2beb.jpg

Your picture reminded me to go out tonight and pick up one of these lights from Pro Bass Shops for $7.99 and I don't give a rat's a** if the ano does wear off. It is still a very good light for the money.

I am just wondering though...what year is that Pinto that the Ford key goes to?:laughing:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The yellow/brown color of the worn area on the Nano in the photo looks like the brass from the keys might be rubbing off onto the Nano.

Last edited:

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
My Fenix LOD also looks like crap, which is why I plan on finding some way of never putting anything with dark anodizing on my keychain after I replace this otherwise great light. Type III anodizing is tremendously overhyped- as far as I can tell it was originally specified to help protect against corrosion, which is nearly negligible on aluminum. I've never had anything with this hard anodizing that didn't scratch, either from casual use or small drops.
I don't know what type of anodizing your Nano has on it, but I guess my point is that there is no type of coating that won't scratch, and the dark colors just emphasize whatever small scratches occur to your light. I can't imagine why anodizing is still so popular on keychain lights despite how freaking bad they look after a relatively short period of carry.

Paul520

Newly Enlightened
I am just wondering though...what year is that Pinto that the Ford key goes to?:laughing:
haha, good eye. Not to far off. Actually it's for an 85 Tbird that amazingly still runs.

cslinger

Enlightened
I have a Nano on a key chain and mine still looks basically new. Its been on the chain for a three months or so. It lives on a key chain with lots of keys as well as in a pocket with a Leatherman Juice so it must see plenty of metal to metal contact.

Chris

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that Nano looks pretty bad!

I think that black in general does not hold up as well as natural. I have a black L0D (Type-III) that is on my car keys (only contains two keys, the remote transmitter, and a plastic whistle) and looks pretty beat up after around 9 months.

In contrast, I have a E01 in natural finish (Type-III) that rides on my work keys (8 brass keys and the E01) and looks new still after 7 months. I'm honestly amazed as to how well the E01 has held up! It's like a little light-weight tank :D

I'll try to post pics if I get a chance.

Robert

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Fenix LOD also looks like crap.......Type III anodizing is tremendously overhyped- as far as I can tell.........
Don't lump all Type III anodizing in the same pot. The HA/Type III anodizing on my Surefires, Arcs, and my Inova X5 HA (not the standard X5) are all significantly better/stronger/thicker than that which is on my Fenix lights. Others have noticed the same thing over and over again. The Fenix Type III is still superior to any Type II I've had, such as my Maglites and standard black Surefires though.

FWIW I have three SL Nano Lights but don't carry any of them on my keys. On all of mine, the heads are too loose for me to feel comfortable putting one on my keychain. Great little light otherwise though, and the pic from the original poster looks just like the finish of my old Maglite Solitaires after 6-12 months of keychain carry.

Last edited:

Latest posts