Whats wrong with P3D Q5

wesinator

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking around for good lights to ask for for Christmas, and so far it seems like the P3D Q5 is looking the best. It seems like the perfect, but light its not spoken of on this website very much. From its specifications it seems like it's the only flashlight i'll ever need. Is there something wrong with it, or is there a better light that puts out as many lumens with as good of maximum run time?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:
The P3D came out over a year and a half ago so most discussion occurs back then. A quick google search shows 2960 items. Marduke beat me to that.

Most people discuss the latest lights so the Dereelight Eagletacs & Nitecore piston switch lights tend to dominate current discussion because they are newer.

Note the P3D uses CR123A batteries. I never got one because of that and because it won't fit comfortably in my tight jeans pocket.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's an awesome light, I found it improved at least 50%, if not 100%, with the PEU battery tube. But even stock it's an excellent light.

As mentioned, it's just not the "latest" light, but it's been talked about plenty and is well regarded by many, if not most.

sylathnie

Enlightened
My P3D was my first "real" flashlight and is still my favorite. I've carried it every day since I received it. It fit my EDC needs perfectly.:thumbsup:

1 what

Enlightened
Another vote for the Q5 P3D.:thumbsup:.
As standardbattery said the extension tube (even though it's expensive) is a great addition to extend runtime and prevent rolling on inclined surfaces. It also forms a great base to attach a pocket clip if you want to modify the case and gives you a solid tube with a sure grip in the event you need to use it for non-flashlight purposes :scowl: (ouch). I like the 123 format due to long shelf life, good temp stability and high energy density.
All in all the P3D is still a very good unit IMO.

D-Dog

Enlightened
Just a word of caution...

I'm not sure if this is still true with the Q5 version, however, AW's RCR123's will fit but the combined length is too long for the battery tube which means the head will not screw down all the way to access turbo mode. Not a problem with Primaries, however, something I hope other people can chime in on...

Edit: Forgot to mention this is with the stock battery tube

Marduke

Flashaholic
Just a word of caution...

I'm not sure if this is still true with the Q5 version, however, AW's RCR123's will fit but the combined length is too long for the battery tube which means the head will not screw down all the way to access turbo mode. Not a problem with Primaries, however, something I hope other people can chime in on...

Edit: Forgot to mention this is with the stock battery tube

Seems odd considering AW makes all this RCR123's to be the same size as primaries so they will fit in any light meant to take CR123's. Also, many MANY members here use AW's cells in the P3D without issue.

D-Dog

Enlightened
See my other post for a better description and more pics

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
What's wrong with CR123As?

1. Prone to explode without warning in multi-cell lights
  2. high cost of operation
  3. must order cells online to get a reasonable price

There is a list of advantages to CR123s also.... and there are many applications where no other cell can compete with the simplicity of just dropping in more CR123s and moving on with the mission.

Eric

mdocod

Flashaholic
The P3D's circuit has been independently tested to handle upwards of like 12V IIRC, and it works fine on a pair of 3.7V cells, ... with the possible exception of a few limited cases of RCR123s being too long...hmmmm

1x18650 lights make more sense if you want to go with a rechargeable li-ion format. Double the runtime of 2xRCR123 configurations.

Elton

Newly Enlightened
sounds good i might have to get one my surefire just dont seem to have a good run time

D-Dog

Enlightened
The P3D's circuit has been independently tested to handle upwards of like 12V IIRC, and it works fine on a pair of 3.7V cells, ... with the possible exception of a few limited cases of RCR123s being too long...hmmmm

1x18650 lights make more sense if you want to go with a rechargeable li-ion format. Double the runtime of 2xRCR123 configurations.

Yea, I am stumped too with this problem. What's funny is that I ordered 4 of AW RCR123A's from lighthound, a VERY reputable dealer, and all 4 are very slightly different sizes. I understand there is natural variation, however, this could affect them working in 2 cell lights

PC140212.jpg

This is a shot of 2 "Titanium" CR123A's in a P3D body screwed on securely to the head (as if to access "turbo mode"). Note the space between the top of the anode of the battery and the lip of the body. This means you can get into "turbo" fine

PC140213-1.jpg

Here is another shot with two Surefire cells (still more than enough room :) )

PC140214-1.jpg

Finally a shot with RCR123A's (two random ones... not even the 2 longest). Note how the anode of the protected cell is just above the lip of the body. This means that either:

*you leave a little threading on the tailcap which is not possible e due to lockout (annozided threads)

*You leave a little space between head and body (works on all modes except turbo

*You tighten both down, forcing the batteries together and introducing a special mode called short the protection circuit and you get a grenade

PC140215.jpg

I don't mean to discredit anyone else and don't want to get too off topic (this is relevant to the OP who deserves to know about a potential problem) as I am sure this is a very isolated concern... Just letting you know it exists, which means either the tolerances on the body length were set too low... or this particular batch of cells was a little too long. They work fine on my M20, however, that has a bit more room in the body and has springs on both the head and tail side which compress to accept longer than average cells.

However, I would say go for it as the P3D is well constructed and at least to me feels just the right size to comfortably EDC

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
wrong kind of batts, thats wrong with it ;)

1 18650 --> Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST,
... the better P3D

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using AW R123's in my Fenix P3D's (Cree version and Rebel 100 version) without any issues.

choaticwhisper

Enlightened
Yeah just like everybody has already said the p3d came out a while ago, so not much discussion now.
Ive been carrying one for a year now using AW's cells, Only thing is I wish low was lower.