Best All-around AA LED light?

Chewy

Newly Enlightened
To piggyback on another current thread that debates the superiority/relevancy of CR123 vs AA, I would like to get your thoughts on the top 3 AA flashlights. They should have a low low and a strong high, sturdy build, and take multiple battery chemistries. They can be either 1xAA or 2xAA.

NightCore D10 would be one, I think.
LD20 would be another.:naughty: (I can sneak in a CR123 or 1xAA body on this.)
LD10 would be my final.

What about you?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to get EagleTac with 180 lumens. The brightest AA that exists now.

Over the counter anyway.

I also have the mini mag mod SMJLED. Good stuff. Runs forever.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tough one to answer, too many choices. For the money, a Jetbeam CL-E is pretty good. $26, perfect beam with a Cree and with good cleaning and lube it works pretty well. At least mine do. But so many others to pick!

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'll have to say the Proton Pro for its all-around capabilities. It's not the brightest, but still enough in most cases. The low may be the lowest for a 1AA and you've got a red there, too. Three strobe speeds, beacon to fast, plus SOS. The beam may not be the smoothest, but it real use it's not really a problem.

Geoff

pipspeak

Enlightened
Nitecore D10/D20 -- the PD takes some getting used to but infinitely controllable output down to extremely low. (Also Nitecore NDI, which has a conventional switch and similar flexibilty)
Fenix L1D/L2D (now LD10/LD20) -- best AA light IMO but the low is not very low.
Eagletac P10A -- I've no experience with this light but output seems good and twist UI is refreshingly simple.

pipspeak

Enlightened
Tough one to answer, too many choices. For the money, a Jetbeam CL-E is pretty good. $26, perfect beam with a Cree and with good cleaning and lube it works pretty well. At least mine do. But so many others to pick!

Ugh... the CL-E is certainly cheap but still not a great value proposition IMO. I've never been more disappointed with a light... mine had awful beam and output seemed way below the AA competition. Gave it away in the end and swore off Jetbeam.

Chewy

Newly Enlightened
I was reading up on the LF5XT. Seems like a great little light.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm quite partial to the Jetbeam Jet I Pro IBS which can run on either AAs or 14500s (for more oomph). With their IBS UI, you can program the modes to suit your needs. Lowest output is even lower than a Fenix E01!

Product description is here

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, the BEST all around AA LED light is the Fenix TK20.

Yeah, it uses 2xAA, but I love it´s tint, shape, bombproof construction and throw. A lot of throw!
Also is a good KISS concept light: only 2 modes... regular and turbo.

Can´t go wrong on that! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

I WAS really happy with my CL-E performance wise, features, size & runtime till the threads within the battery tube became worn... now it lives in the cupboard as I'm too worried about wearing out the 'spare tube' to use it any longer as my EDC :mecry:

I really need to either get a later model OR something else entirely, those Nitecores look really nice! :thumbsup:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I thought the CL-E was a very decent light, too, especially considering the price. It was my first multi-mode Cree. I did find later lights like the Rexlight and L1D to be more efficient. Now it's resting on my "shelf of fame" beside a few others that deserve a spot more honorable than the "drawer of shame".

Geoff

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was reading up on the LF5XT. Seems like a great little light.

Yes it is! Its only problem in my opinion is there is no clip for it; only a lanyard. Programming the light the way you want it will take some time because of the complex interface and less than stellar instruction manual.
However, after that initial setup, you will probably never mess with it, and the light becomes as simple to operate as most other multilevel lights.

One other problem. If you want a LF5XT with an R2 emitter, you have to act quickly because LiteFlux is now beginning to put a Q5 into the light. (EliteLED still has some of the R2s but "once they are gone, they are gone!" ) Of all the single AA lights I have tried, the R2 LF5XT has the smoothest beam with no artificacts at all from hotspot to spill. I would imagine the Q5's will be about as good, since LiteFlux has proved that an artifact free Q5 can be done with the the LF3XT. LiteFlux lowered the price, too, on the Q5's. Now, just $62 shipped for LiteFlux. However, for the few extra dollars, I would get an R2 version, if I could.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm quite partial to the Jetbeam Jet I Pro IBS which can run on either AAs or 14500s (for more oomph). With their IBS UI, you can program the modes to suit your needs. Lowest output is even lower than a Fenix E01!

What's not to love about this great little light with 230 lumen and IBS? I carry mine everyday and have never been disappointed.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

I had my first Jet I Pro IBS for such a short time I keep forgetting how much I liked it and can't wait to get my second one. Fortunately it has a great home because I offered it to a friend and he chose it over the Fenix L1D, which he had already decided he liked!

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1

I like mine and it would be perfect, if they put a heavier battery contact spring. (of course that's my criticism of neatly all these lights)

I give the Fenix single AA lights as gifts. I feel they are near perfect for a non-flashaholic.