Number one MUST HAVE flashlight

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you had to choose the number one most indespensible must have flashlight that every person should have what would you vote for?

My vote would be for the Photon Microlight, any version. I think everyone should have one of these small lights on their keys, around their neck, somewhere they carry it every single day. They are just too handy, to easy to carry, and too reliable not to have on ones person every single day. I think of them personally as life insurance and have literally given them to every person in my family and most friends. All told I have probably given away about 40 of them.

Last edited:

aussiebob

Enlightened
Something like an Arc AAA or any of the Fenix AAA lights, etc.

You have one on your keys, etc, and when you need light its always there. I agree they are soo handy.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
If I could have but one light (PERISH the thought!) it would be my P2D Q5 with 1 and 2AA bodies!

Up it to 3 lights and my UF 505B with Dereelight 3SM Q2 5A and my hopefully soon to be acquired Zebralight H50 would be the others.

Cydonia

Enlightened
LRI Photon's are really special items. Sadly most people here don't consider them to be "serious" lights.
And only a handful know the runtimes of a CR2032 lithium coin cell pushing a red, yellow, turquoise or white LED...

Sub_Umbra said:
It's dim, but handy with very long runtime. I called off a very informal runtime test of an NV green PF with 1x2032 after ~12 days because I wanted to get the light back into my life. It was still putting out usable light.

I googled around to try and exact match this post and find the source thread. It seems I can't find it. Maybe it's too far back?

farmer17

Newly Enlightened
The old Surefire 6P.
Just wondering.....How long has the SF 6P been around?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
PhotonY.jpg

Two must have items ... tacticool to boot :D

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I vote for AAA light of personal choice, which for me has been an L0D but it could be an ArcMania Extreme III or LF2 or ARC. The AAA format is the most widely useful format and compact there is! I have many photon style lights and can't argue with their usefulness, but they come in behind the AAA's.

mdocod

Flashaholic
A large format reliable long runner with an LED that can run on ordinary alkaline cells. For emergency situations a larger flashlight with long runtime and a reasonable output is must have. This could be something as simple as a MagLED (like a 3D), or a mag with an after-market LED drop-in solution. The mag itself, when used at power levels that are considered "stock" is a remarkably sturdy and reliable setup.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix EO1. I think just about everyone can afford it, it runs cheap, it lasts a long time, and it takes readily available batteries. The average person won't carry a large flashlight everywhere they go. They won't waste a lot of money on flashlights and batteries. They only change batteries when the light stops working and usually don't carry spare batteries or bulbs. They have to be able to buy batteries cheap at the nearest store as they can't wait for an online order to be sent to them. They don't need much light for most tasks as they think Maglites are the best and brightest they can get. Most people refuse to even carry a light as they may be viewed by their peers as being abnormal for carrying a flashlight in broad daylight. However, nobody gets hassled for having a small l.e.d. flashlight on their keychain as it's just one of the many things they happen to have on it. This is the description of the average person and many of us should remember that when suggesting expensive lights that don't take readily available batteries. I have given away lights to many family members and friends and the only light that gets edc'd is their EO1. Four family members and friends now edc an EO1, three of them are girls.

For the rest of us, an EO1 uses one of the most efficient l.e.d.s available. It is hard anodized, has a reliable twisty switch, uses alkalines, lithiums, and rechargeables, is water resistant, and built tough. It is cheap enough to replace if it gets lost or broken. It's hard to find a better light at that price point.

Personally, I like the Photon II also, but after seeing the prices go up to $4 per cell in my local stores, I'd rather use a light that costs 50 cents to run it for 11 hours without dimming than a light that loses half it's light in half an hour and costs $8 to run.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry an E01 everywhere, but sometimes it's just not bright enough. That's why I also carry a D10 everywhere, which is plenty bright on a single AA, and covers pretty much all bases (except being a bit big for a keyring, but I prefer handling a light the D10's size).