Can I get some MC2 user feedback?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Now that Scott is making another run I wanted to know what people still think of them after having them awhile.

One of the more exciting aspects for me is the 1000 hour runtime on low.

Has anyone bought one and not put it to good use? My flashaholism has it's roots in emergency preparedness and this little homemade light seem to call to that part of me.

Any info on how you like to use it or possibly runtimes on each level would be appreciated guys! Pics would also be nice to drool over while I wait!

Thanks

Last edited:

da.gee

Enlightened
Is he really making another run? I have been on the fence with this light for a year. As an emergency light it sounds great.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Yep.

Traded E-mail's, PM's, and posts about it. He has the goods ready and just needs 10 or so more orders before he starts the building.

I can't wait! I used to be all about finding a Surefire Hurricane lamp till I researched it more. The Milky Candle is way way WAY more efficient. 3 modes from a white led and 1 mode from a colored LED of your choice. I think they look neat being made out of the plumbing supplies! Pretty tough package. I wish I had some pics to post in this thread!! :rolleyes:

The thing is........ after these units are spoken for it will be some time before he can make more because he will have to wait on parts so it's really first come first served.

Scott can always make a one off of these but he would have to use the Acorn driver and charge a little more.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
This thread still has no user feedback or pics which is kind of sad but.......... While MC2 feedback would still be nice to have Scott will be making the MC3 at this point!

The MC3 will have the long desired flicker/flame mode as well as 3 full levels on both the white and the colored LED's.

He has also figured out 2 seperate ways to increase the efficiency of his candles so now the runtimes will be alot longer. :devil:

Also worth noting that this current run of candles are going to be made to order with your choice of both emitters.
:party:

gallagho

Enlightened
OK I have one complaint... They should be shipped with a spare adhesive copper strip, as they can be sheared by the screwing action of the tailcap. I'm down to one on each of my MC2's

That's it really, they are great!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
So Scott should supply extra strips or use better glue?

Thanks for the info I will bring this up and see what he says! :thumbsup:

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Yeah, sorry I haven't replied earlier. I had an MC2 as well. I notice the copper strips began to peel diagonally due to the pressures from threading the tailcap down. The other thing I was somewhat surprised by was the lack of a lens/window of any type over the LEDs. The circuit board is exposed and is vulnerable to damage. I solved the issue by putting a piece of clear packing tape over the top, but there could be a better way i'd imagine.

Besides that, it served its purpose great as a sort of beacon/locator in my room. I'd let it fully drain my CR123's while marking the edge of a table at night. I don't use any traditional light fixtures in my room unless I have to, opting instead for using RCR123's and ceiling bounce lighting instead. So having the MC2 there to signal me not to crash into the table was great. Eventually though I sold my MC2 to let someone else enjoy the fuctions of 'impeccable battery drainer'.

I'd buy another if it had some kind of permanent lens over the LED's and if the copper contacts where more solidly affixed to the body somehow. I know that designing such a thing could be difficult, but it seems like a good forward progression in the family of Milkycandles. :candle:

Edit: Also, what would be cool is some kind of clear PVC around the head area, so that the light from the LED's could distribute further. It seems that a lot of light is not being put to complete use.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Oh another copper strip being mentioned, Mmmmmm.

I saw pics ahead of time and knew there was no lens, I have been thinking of pouring Devcon 2-Ton epoxy in there to seal it all up.
First I will get the word from Scott just to be sure.

optodoofus

Newly Enlightened
I have an MC2 and it is great. I purchased it for emergency use (can't beat those run times). I just wish I had more occasion to use it. (Just not enough power outages or big storms here. But I bet a lot of people in New England would have been happy to have one last weekend.)

Sometimes, I take it out just to play with it. It's just another part of my illness.

optodoofus

mrQQ

Enlightened
my main doubts rose from the fact, that MC achieves its area lighting (thats what I need it for) from ceiling bounce, and the material in tent usually is not white and with poor reflective characteristics..

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
The copper strip on my MC2 also got messed up from twisting the tailcap. I just super-glued it back in position and she is still working like a champ. I turn mine on every night on low and turn it off when I get up in the am....use it like a night light. I put a clear camera film canister over the top of mine to diffuse the light.

I would be down for another if the copper strip issue was resolved...and I would also appreciate some sort of protection for the top of the light as well. With that being said I still love mine, that would just make it even better! I have used mine every night for over a year straight :)

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too many to count :naughty: A few of my friends have a Surefire for an EDC(thanks to me of course!). If they stop by my house and I notice their batteries are getting low, I replace them and I confiscate the old ones for my MC2. Every now and again I put 2 new CR123 primaries in my candle, and I only seem to get about 6-8 weeks of it running on average 8-10 hours a night. Although, I bought mine used so I am not sure how long it's supposed to run on low(version 1.02j on the tape) :shrug:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
:twothumbs

I wonder if you can sent it back in for a software update and get even more runtime? :thinking: I read that you could, once, somewhere.