Fenix or NiteCore

gsgtsg

Newly Enlightened
Which brand would you recommend between the Fenix or NiteCore, considering there are several choices of similar functionality and light output between the two.

Thanks.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think there's much in it in terms of quality and value, so I'd go for the one you like best, rather than choosing between the brands.

rockz4532

Enlightened
i say fenix, only cause i have one and that the nitecores turn on by themselves, in a pocket, and that the piston comes sticky

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Nitecore's myself, but the Fenix lights I've seen are nice too. You could always buy both :naughty:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
They're both great and when I first saw the question I thought, 'Yeah, both!', but it really just comes down to personal preference and I would not be bummed to be carrying a Fenix L1D instead of my Nitecore D10.

gsgtsg

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the response. I was deciding between the following:

1) Fenix PD30 or NiteCore NEX

2) If its NiteCore NEX, then what is the difference and which is preferable between these LEDs 'Cree Q5' or 'OSRAM Golden Dragon'?

3) Are there any reviews available on both of these?

tgbydesign

Newly Enlightened
I personally own 5 or more (lost count) from both brands. They are both of the same build quality and functionality. Remember each light carries its own special design and function. You have to choose which of them (or several like I have) suits your needs. As far as manufacturers go they are both solid products and are backed up with great customer service team. I have ordered from both and have had no issues whatsoever.

The nitcore NEX is my favorite light! I personally love the SS model(stainless steel bezel) version. It is said to be of limited availability so I would get one before they go! The other great thing when the bezel is stainless it takes a beating without looking old and torn. I bought mine from 4sevens. (www.4sevens.com) It is My own personal must have carry light, but like I said they are all great in their own little way.

:wave:

gsgtsg

Newly Enlightened
What is the approx. beam throw ans spill between the Fenix PD30 or NiteCore NEX?

On the NiteCore NEX, what is the difference and which is preferable between these LEDs 'Cree Q5' or 'OSRAM Golden Dragon'?

Does the NiteCore NEX have the selective dimming/brightening function?

Does the NiteCore NEX have the flashing strobe function?

Last edited:

gsgtsg

Newly Enlightened
Just found answers to my last two questions on dimming and strobe from the link by pobox1475 :thanks:

Any info available on:

What is the approx. beam throw and spill between the Fenix PD30 or NiteCore NEX?

On the NiteCore NEX, what is the difference and which is preferable between these LEDs 'Cree Q5' or 'OSRAM Golden Dragon'?

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Q5, I have experience with it and it has been around long enough to prove it'self to me.

The Dragon, while being newer, may be just as good but I just don't recommend what I don't have experience with.

:shrug: I have heard that the Q5 throws further if that is any help.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix has a design philosophy of building their lights simple in order to give you the brightest light and the longest runtime, with greatest reliability. There is no light in their lineup that has any programmability, let alone memory retention; there is no light of theirs that will ramp. The interface on each every light is very straight forward and simple. Even the body design says simplicity. Except for their tactical models, the lights have very little knurling or just enough.
Most of the Fenix models do not give you the options of using a variety of different rechargable formats, especially lithium rechargables; again simplicity in design. When lithium rechargables will operate in a Fenix model, often not all light levels are avaiable. However, there are a few models that allow the use of different battery tubes and either CR123 or AA usage.

The NiteCore philosophy is different. Although they try to create this tactical image, I would say they are more a user adapted light. Instead of the user having to adapt to the fixed light levels, and fixed cell options, Nitecore tries a bit more to let the user adapt the light to his needs. Rather than being stuck with only certain light levels, NiteCore offers a user a broader choice of light levels, including lower lows that can be selected and saved in a user definable mode if he wishes. Ramping light levels is an option on all of the models. All of their lights offer you a chance to use lithium rechargables and have built in protection circuits to even let you use unprotected cells. Most of the NiteCore models are not as bright as the brightest of the Fenix's, but they do offer lower lows which many people want. The NiteCore look is a bit more aggressive; knurling not at all lacking. Runtimes, while acceptable, are not comparable to the best runtimes in the Fenix lines. With a bit more complexity in the design of some of the NiteCore models comes the cost of reliability should you not maintain the lights properly, or operate them properly. The split ring on the PD series is especially prone to problems if the contacts are kept scrupulously clean. If you don't apply steady enough pressure to the PD switch, it may misfire changing modes, or shutting off entirely. It takes a bit of practice to use these lights properly, unlike the more straight forward Fenix models.

So to say which company is better is difficult to answer. It all depends on how your needs match up with the design philosophy of each of these companies. If you need a simple straight forward, no nonsense, design with bright, long runtimes, Fenix will probably have a light for for you. If no light with a fixed light levels perfectly suits you and you wish to use rechargable lithiums rather than primaries, then you will probably need to look at a company like NiteCore to provide you with a light that you can customize to your own needs.

Last edited:

pobox1475

Enlightened
Runtimes, while acceptable, are not comparable to the best runtimes in the Fenix lines.
Very thorough and accurate discripions. I aplaude you. I do how ever want to point out that with reguards to the quoted statement unless things have changed within the past couple months the NEX is the most efficient single 123 light at it's max rated output thus far.

cy

Flashaholic
neither ... get a Surefire!

support an American company...

pobox1475

Enlightened
I have a SureFire. An L2 http://www.surefire.com/L2-LumaMax . It is a outstanding light and has the distinguished role of permanent resident in my BOB. As an EDC light it and most SF's IMO are a little bulky and the multi cell lights cost more to run often due to the requirments of primary cells. For the average user their prices are a turn off. As with all true top quality goods you pay for. For WTSHTF equipment they are worth it.

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
nitecores turn on by themselves, in a pocket, and that the piston comes sticky

I have never had my D10 turn its self on...ever and the issue with the piston is easily resolved by cleaning the piston and re lubing it with something a little more viscous, I personally prefer nitecore's line up because it is more user friendly and when you get up at night to pee it doesnt blind you and wake you SO up:grin2:

cy

Flashaholic
you picked a dud... have never like Surefire L2... too long... too much wasted space.

get a Surefire L1 Cree... that's one sweet little light!
mint L1's pop up all the time for $85 range... would take that over any new Chinese light.

totally agree about comments of no longer needing multi cell EDC lights. ran 1x R123 li-ion cell in L1 with zero issue, then placed a tritium tube in clip... very nice!

not cheap by any means... IMHO Surefire L1 Cree, one of the best values for the $$$

I have a SureFire. An L2 http://www.surefire.com/L2-LumaMax . It is a outstanding light and has the distinguished role of permanent resident in my BOB. As an EDC light it and most SF's IMO are a little bulky and the multi cell lights cost more to run often due to the requirments of primary cells. For the average user their prices are a turn off. As with all true top quality goods you pay for. For WTSHTF equipment they are worth it.

Last edited: