Looking for an LED Mod for a PT Aqua Flare

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought two PT Aqua Flares one for me and one for my wife. They will be used as underwater markers for night diving. They came with a standard 3 volt PR base bulb that is only rated for 8 hours of runtime and 30 hours of bulb life. So I would like to put in an LED, what would be best to replace it with.
Thanks
JT

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well as it uses a PR base bulb you have two choices, the EverLED or Epieon .

I just checked out the Aqua Flare at BrightGuy and it doesn't appear to use a reflector (correct me if I'm wrong) so a two cell Epieon would probably be your best bet.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does have a reflector but it is shaped more like bowl than a normal one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the links I am guessing by your statement that the Epieon puts more light out the front.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jtivat said:
Thanks for the links I am guessing by your statement that the Epieon puts more light out the front.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's correct, the Epieon uses a standard LS (not sure if it's high or low dome but all the light is emitted from the front).

The EverLED uses a side emitter which requires a fairly good reflector to produce a beam.

Here's some pics of my EverLED:

At home in a 2D Mag
fc30aa92.jpg

Switched on
fc30aa94.jpg

brightness reduced for clearer view
fc30aa93.jpg

Everled doing it's stuff with the Mag reflector (reduced brightness so you can see the emmitted light bouncing off of the reflector)
fc30aa90.jpg

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
JT,

Take a look at this thread for a direct comparison between the EverLED & Epieon.

Thanks B@rt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif