I just left a Christmas suprise for Mr. RAT!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
At least two of the critters seem to be doing all they can to get through the walls/floors.

I put a mid size wooden trap under the house and he/they toyed with it.

I now have two metal single spring (1LS) traps at two locations. Let's see 'em toy with these bad boys! I can't set these with just my hand strength!

Just a little Christmas "cheer" for our little friends!

Anyone else?

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife and I have three cats. Rats and other such critters just aren't a huge problem for us. :)

Good luck!

:buddies:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't eat a rat either, don't blame the doggies. I'm guessing they "do" cats?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Snipe them! Get an air rifle with scope, put some bait, hide and wait at a good distance for them to show up (25-30 yards)

Boom! headshot!

Illum

Flashaholic
Snipe them! Get an air rifle with scope, put some bait, hide and wait at a good distance for them to show up (25-30 yards)

Boom! headshot!

better done outside than inside unless you like cleaning blood stains along the wall trimmings:sick2:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Couple things.

Near as we can tell none have made it inside yet. I know how it would look because they get into the shop office regularly.

I don't have the patience to wait outside laying in the prone position.

These traps will do a pretty good job and I don't have to be there when it happens!

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
At least two of the critters seem to be doing all they can to get through the walls/floors.

I put a mid size wooden trap under the house and he/they toyed with it.

I now have two metal single spring (1LS) traps at two locations. Let's see 'em toy with these bad boys! I can't set these with just my hand strength!

Just a little Christmas "cheer" for our little friends!

Anyone else?

How cruel. I feed them when they show up every two or three years as the season changes.
Nice green food.

I've also tried to keep them warm as they move towards the food.
Bare wire nailed to a board in a zig-zag pattern. It's plugged into 110 volts and heats inductively.

A tilting board over a barrel with bait above works well.

I once caught 23 mice in one night in a simple trap copied from an old book.

A metal trash can is covered with a piece of cardboard.
A square is cut out of the center.
A piece of paper with an X cut in it is taped over this hole and bait is hung above.
Boxes, etc allow access to the top.
They walk out on the cardboard and apparently don't see the slit in the paper.

Here is a simple version

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I once did a hit for an old girlfriend.

I used a bolt 22. with the snakeshot CCI rounds.

I had a good stakeout position that gave me line of sight from her couch into the kitchen. I told her to wonder around the house loudly then leave. I left some PB on the floor after she took off. Not 20 minutes later while lying there out came a good sized rat. I don't think it even had time to react.
Messy but very effective. :thumbsup:

Tessaiga

Enlightened
A Little Red Dot 1 degree North of the Equator
I had one of those stupid idiots run in the crevice behind my toilet bowl and had its fat self promptly wedged and trapped there.... it couldn't remove itself and promptly died there... stinking the whole place up before we realised what happend...

in the end, the toilet bowl had to be hacked out to be replaced by another one cos we could not get that rotting mess out any other way... i

it was a $300 sewer rat.... DAMN!

by the way, there behave like a top class mountain climber.... I was chasing one around the kitchen when it disappeared behind a cabinet, I looked on the floor and it wasn't there....

When I peered in the crevice between the back of the cabinet and the wall, what greeted me gave me the chills..... it was very errie seeing this huge sewer rat easily 30 cm or more off the ground with its fat body pressed up tighly against the cabinet using the wall as a jamming point.... :green:

still gives me the chills to think about it....

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Update: The medium size wooden trap was toyed with.

The smallish bear trap style metal trap had the dang peanut butter removed without being tripped!

Buddy says, mod the metal trap to be more sensative. It already scares the crap out of me!

I'm going to get some sticky traps and stratically place them around the metal trap.

I'll get them bastids one way or the other!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Hey just stake it out and pop him one! Those sticky traps always leave a screaming rat to have to stomp then peel off your boot. Unless you have a 5 gallon bucket of water handy..............

What was the range? All pellets hit the rat?

Bill

Maybe 20 feet. I left 1 little pellet in the wall, it looked like what you would get from sticking a thumb tack in and pulling it out. She never noticed it since it was so near the floor.

:grin2: I love those little CCI birdshot rounds!

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I was watching an older episode of "Dirty Jobs", Mike Rowe was following a rat exterminator through some infested buildings. They used these REALLY sticky goo-traps, one of them had a rat plastered onto this thing... dead.

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
One simple way I've found to make traps more effective is to spread peanut butter on the underside of the bait area instead of on top of it. The little varmits have to work harder to get to it and always end up tripping the trap. This works every time for me.

Culhain

Enlightened
Peanut butter and rat poison worked well for me. I used a powder poison on bread with peanut butter under the trap and peanut butter and poison pellets on top.

Actually, it worked to well. First it got the rats, then the neighborhood squirrels succombed. My neighbor's cats, 7 or 8 running loose, got after the very sick squirrels and then all was quiet and peaceful. Shop "Farm and Fleet".