Looking for a Mag replacement

SmeServer

Newly Enlightened
Evening Folks

Well, I have had some torches, and, er, my family found other uses for them. I've got a Surefire 6p converted to rechargeable lithium batteries and quite a few LED lights.

However, they are mostly small ones here and there.

My sister needs one for when she's on call at night. She's tried a Maglite 3D in the past which is pretty good for what she needs plus self-defense needs but I was hoping someone could recommend a smaller LED version that would run on easy to find batteries, but also manage the throw of the Maglite.

I do like my Surefire 6p and use it for helping my camera to focus on buildings at night, but don't want to lose it if I can.

Price, well, not too expensive but I'm sure that if something comes up at the right price I'll try and get it...

on http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_3d.htm it lists the Lumens output as 23 or 2300, but I'm not sure which is right. :whistle::whistle:

So, yeah, appreciate some advice as well of you experts :D :duh2:

Lighthearted1

Newly Enlightened
I have one that I found out about on this forum, and it has awesome throw for $25, using 2 D cells.
Husky Tactical 4 watt at Home Depot.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/209624

It may not work in a holster or belt ring due to the unusual tail cap. I really like the tail cap for stability standing on end, and sure grip when turning open and closed. It is very bright, strongly built, and has the same forward switch placement as a Maglite. A great light, and great value.

Good luck.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag 3 or 4c with appropriate malkoff dropin? The standard 240 lumen dropin will be great, and in a solid reliable maglite host. Total cost should be around 80 dollars. Runs for over 2.5/3.5 hours on 3 or 4 alkaline C cells, respectively.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe flashlightreviews is referring to LUX ratings of a Mag 3 not the Lumens rating.Lux is a better measure of throw were as lumens is a better measure of output.A Mag3D might put out a lux rating of 2,300 but a thrower like a DBS V2 will put out 29,000!.If you want a light that puts out alot of lght and can be used as a weapon, get a Magcharger.Cops have been beating lowlifes with it for 20 years!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
You're reading the Flashlightreviews.com data incorrectly - the 2300/3800 scores refer to the total output of the light, and use an arbitrary scale (not lumens or candlepower) relative only to other reviews on the site. The throw numbers are in the first column, and are in true Lux format, which can be (roughly) compared to any other lux reading from anywhere else. That being said, the results are typical Maglite; lousy output with incredible throw.

There's a broad range of our modern flashaholic lights that could easily go above and beyond your sister's needs, but could you be more specific on the criteria? Namely price range and battery size. There's more than a few 1xAA lights that would be very suitable, but they may be too expensive and/or too small..

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it sounds like a fenix E20 would be perfect for her. Not too expensive, common batteries and the same focusable head as the mag, but much smaller and brighter. If not then my second vote would be for a mag with a dropin.

Toaster

Enlightened
Fenix TK20 will match the throw of the Maglite 3D and put out more lumens as well. It runs on 2xAAs which is as common as it gets. See this comparison review for a little more info on the light and it's capabilities. That's pretty much the only 2AA light that will match the throw of the Mag 3D. If you want something a bit bigger and cheaper, the Task Force 2C Cree at Lowe's is a good bargain.