Flashlight's with MC-E / P7, flood?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems a lot of effort has been made to put these MC-E's and P7's into larger lights with big reflectors so they have decent throw. How about someone puts one of these multi-emitter LED's into a smaller light, say something like a Fenix P3D, but with a thicker and heavier body to allow for heat sinking. Then use a minimal reflector to just produce a nice floody beam. They wouldn't even have to drive the MC-E/P7 at full power, but enough to get around 400 lumens of nice floody light. It could run off a 18650, etc.

When you are dealing with flood you need more lumens to light things up since the lumens aren't concentrated into a tight hot spot. This is where I think the MC-E's and P7's would excel. Even if they were set up like the McGizmo mule. I'd love a light like this that had a very low low. The MC-E's and P7's should be very efficient at low levels, and for a medium low they could send 20-25mA to each emitter, which appears to be the sweet spot when it comes to efficency.

I would think a set up like this would make for a nice walking light, etc.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live downtown, have no need for throw, so have been adding homemade diffusers to many of my lights.

I had turned my 2C M@g into a floody light by applying Press n Seal to both sides of the lens. When I got my 3C M@g P7 from Elektrolumens I swapped lenses just to see what the diffusing effect will be.
Not as even as a Mule or Zebralight but a nice wide beam nevertheless.
Now I just point my P7 light at the ceiling. Lights up the whole room evenly.

Filter-for-mag.jpg

Filter-none-MgP7.jpg

Filter-MgP7.jpg

You can probably get your buddy at Dereelight to do a CL1H-MCE-Mule.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love for something like the Milky Room Sweeper, with the Fenix T series UI of twisting the head for high and low.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, 18650 P3D-size floody, warm, MC-E. :D
Perfect EDC in my book.

+1 on this, think that the form factor would be great, think i saw a mod on a Jet III Pro ST with a P7, that would be great but since i live in singapore, it would not be worthwhile for me to send my light all the way up to the US and back for that mod.

My limited choices would probably end up with me getting an MTE P7 off DX. :(

You guys are lucky to be living in areas with loads of B&M shops and many many more choices for lights with reasonable shipping charges.