surefire E1B lens problem..

seale_navy

Enlightened
hi...

i have the surefire e1b. just today i found out that there is some scratches inside the TIR lens (not on the outer window of the lens) when i switch it on the low mode.

Also, when i look at the lens of the E1B I notice there is a stain under the lens. When the stain is look under a warm light on my ceiling its in pink in colour ( probably its coated with something) the reflection makes it looks pink.

I was wondering whether is all this normal? all replies will be appreciated..

Last edited:

coloradogps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Call Surefire to warranty the light.

Do not email, call.

They will handle it, no problem.

hi...

i have the surefire e1b. just today i found out that there is some scratches in the TIR lens when i switch it on the low mode.

Also, when i look at the lens of the E1B I notice there is a stain under the lens. When the stain is look under a warm light on my ceiling its in pink in colour ( probably its coated with something) the reflection makes it looks pink.

I was wondering whether is all this normal? all replies will be appreciated..

seale_navy

Enlightened
yeah im just afraid that if i sent the light to surefire from UK to USA, it will be missing by regular airmail...

hopefully if im lucky, surefire will just sent me a new bezel head without me sending the entire light over.. but i ll doubt they will do that though...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
yeah im just afraid that if i sent the light to surefire from UK to USA, it will be missing by regular airmail...

Since you're not in the U.S., there's a bigger issue....

You'll likely wait several months to a year to get your E1B back.

Size15's

Flashaholic

I don't think the wait will be nearly as long as that - hopefully you'll let us know.

As a Brit you have two main options:
1) Call SureFire on their dedicated number for Germany & England:
Tel: 00-800-7843-7843.

2) Call the SureFire retailer in the UK you used, or the SureFire UK Distributor - Edgar Brothers: Tel: 01625 613177.
If you didn't purchase the SureFire in the UK this route likely won't work.

seale_navy

Enlightened
I don't think the wait will be nearly as long as that - hopefully you'll let us know.

As a Brit you have two main options:
1) Call SureFire on their dedicated number for Germany & England:
Tel: 00-800-7843-7843.

2) Call the SureFire retailer in the UK you used, or the SureFire UK Distributor - Edgar Brothers: Tel: 01625 613177.
If you didn't purchase the SureFire in the UK this route likely won't work.

hi there...

the number dedicated for germany and england does not work.. i cant call it..

i purchased in through edgar brothers. I dont know what is the procedure is though.. is Edgar Bros going to replace the entire head? Do they keep stock pile of e1b head?

are they going to fix it, which invloved tampering with the glue that prevent the bezel from opening?

The E1B, I have is brand new just a month old today. I dont really want them, to scratch it since E1B is bloody expensive here in the UK compared to the USA.

seale_navy

Enlightened
Do either of these affect the performance of the light?
it does not affect the performance... its just that when i put on the low mode and look through the lens, i can see scratch marks inside the TIR lens.. and upon reflection of room light on the lens, i can see a sort of like multi coated stain on the window...

the stain its like glasses... those greenish, pinkish reflection u have on a far sighted glasses...

its just not fair to see, having paid for a surefire and u get some light which is not perfect..

Last edited:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1 :thumbsdow

Unfortunately, if we live outside U.S., things are not that fast... They can change your light, but you will have to wait several months.

I had the experience...

seale_navy

Enlightened

Unfortunately, if we live outside U.S., things are not that fast... They can change your light, but you will have to wait several months.

I had the experience...
really.. where do u live then?

i remember once i sent my Pelican ligh to the US. I waited for their email for 2 weeks, and i got fed up and gave Pelican a call. They agree to send me a new light right away which i got it in a week or two. I remember sending my light in June and got it around July 2006. But somehow in December 2006, I saw a package for my Pelican light again. Well, i think this is the one that I sent for replacement.. so thinking of the situation now.. it might be true it might take several month..

Last edited:

1996alnl

Enlightened
it does not affect the performance... its just that when i put on the low mode and look through the lens, i cant see scratch marks inside the TIR lens.. and upon reflection of room light on the lens, i can see a sort of like multi coated stain on the window...

the stain its like glasses... those greenish, pinkish reflection u have on a far sighted glasses...

its just not fair to see, having paid for a surefire and u get some light which is not perfect..

It IS effecting the performance.
It shouldn't be like that. Surefire stands behind their products like no one else,they will ship you a new light that will be flawless.

Size15's

Flashaholic
hi there...

the number dedicated for germany and england does not work.. i cant call it..
Interesting... I've never tried it personally.

i purchased in through edgar brothers. I dont know what is the procedure is though.. is Edgar Bros going to replace the entire head? Do they keep stock pile of e1b head?

are they going to fix it, which invloved tampering with the glue that prevent the bezel from opening?

The E1B, I have is brand new just a month old today. I dont really want them, to scratch it since E1B is bloody expensive here in the UK compared to the USA.
This is easy - since you purchased it through Edgar Brothers I suggest you give them a call and explain what you've experienced.
My guess would be they'll arrange to exchange your E1B for a replacement. They'll then send it back to SureFire for repair/refund etc.

The E1B bezel is not user nor dealer/distributor serviceable so no need to worry about that.

Size15's

Flashaholic

I had the experience...
That may well have been your experience but I don't believe it is normal to have to wait several months. That's not typical based on what I've experienced and heard of. A longer wait in some cases due to international shipping but not several months.

Hopefully we'll see how long this issue takes to resolve.

seale_navy

Enlightened
Interesting... I've never tried it personally.

This is easy - since you purchased it through Edgar Brothers I suggest you give them a call and explain what you've experienced.
My guess would be they'll arrange to exchange your E1B for a replacement. They'll then send it back to SureFire for repair/refund etc.

The E1B bezel is not user nor dealer/distributor serviceable so no need to worry about that.

ohh i see. I just email them Edgar Bros. They have ask me to send the light to them and ask the workshop to have a look.

So I email them what the workshop is going to do about it, they didnt reply me email, i guess they got fed up with my numerous question haha...

Well Size 15, thanks a lot of the info and as well to others. I didnt know they absorb the faulty surefire e1b, and replace me a new one.

i was under the impression of either they repair it or send it to surefire on my behalf... but anyway now i know..

Last edited:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
really.. where do u live then?

Brasil.

We don´t have official Surefire dealers around here, and we can´t buy Surefire lights from american official dealers.

Don´t ask me why, I´m still trying to understand that... :shrug:

That was my (bad) experience, of course... maybe you´ll have more luck!

:thumbsup:

seale_navy

Enlightened
I just spoke to surefire USA just now. They claim that if it does not affect the beam its fine...but if i insist, then i can send in to them.

the representative was trying to assess whether its necessary to send it in to surefire.

i argued that other people who own the surefire find it strange and not normal as well. the spoke person said that as long it does not affect the beam its fine..

pipspeak

Enlightened
If there's crud on the lens then it affect the beam, whether you see it or not :)

Moreover it's a silly-expensive little light and I agree with your view that for the money it damn well better be perfect.

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire people tend to be the more pragmatic and practical types who sometimes find it strange and difficult to understand why we Flashaholics get so worked up about things such as beam tint and artifacts because if the light operates fine and does the job it was intended for these things are of little consequence.

As flashlight enthusiasts we can be [overly] critical and nitpick. SureFire has shown it does what it can to accommodate us but it's not always easy or straight forward given the conflicts that can exist between our expectations and those the product is intended to serve.

dougie

Enlightened
I've had my E1B for well over eight months and until I looked hard tonight I thought that the optic was perfect. However now that I'm really looking I can see a small scratch on the surface of the optic. As it doesn't affect the beam and it was bought to be used it doesn't bother me. As for the tint issue are you sure it is on the inside of the glass? Have you tried using alcohol based wipes to clean it on the outside?

As I'm in the UK I've used Edgar Brothers for loads of stuff and have nothing but good things to say about them. Please remember that they are not a normal retailer and are the importers for a lot of American made gear including Surefire. EB's don't normally supply the general public unless you are police or military so I'm kinda surprised that you got it from them?

Doug