*SOLVED* A Malkoff drop-in for my father - which one?

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I want to buy my father a Malkoff drop-in for when he takes the dogs out at night and checking out his backyard which has about 70 ft of open lawn then woods.

I'm thinking an M60LF (not sure about warm or not) is the best for him - the flood is great to illuminate the path but he would still get some OK throw (enough to illuminate the backyard)... The runtime is nice too. Wonder if I should get a Warm variety. So many choices :thinking:

Thoughts on the best general purpose Malkoff version for a non-flashaholic? Anyone else buy a Malkoff/Surefire combo for a family member or friend?

Thinking of putting it in a yellow G2 LED body for him...

Thanks!

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Re: A Malkoff drop-in for my father - which one?

Hey I think for general user who is not into lights the W tint would make a great choice. It makes it really easy for long time incan users to accept LED's.

I'm not sure about the F part though. Maybe you could use a little Roscolux LDF on it for him. A low power variety to give a good balance between flood and throw. Since he will probably use this light for everything I'd hate to permanantly take all of his throw.

The Yellow is probably the best G2 color IMO. :)

Last edited:

Gino

Newly Enlightened

I purchased a G2 with the malkoff M60lf for my father for Christmas.
It has a nice flood,but I don't think its gonna make 70 feet. I tested it in my back yard which is 45' X 39' and it barely shows up on the fence, however it is a little rainy so you might get more throw in better conditions but I would not expect alot. I did not get the warm version because I believe you give up a few lumens, not sure if its enough to make a difference, but my father's your typical user if it produces light when you press the button it's done its job. LOL It works well inside with no real hotspot just smooth light. I picked up a Black G2 from L.A. Police Gear for $27.00.

Good luck on your decision.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks guys - look like I'll stick to a non-flood and maybe grab some of that film - or an fm34 - for him.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: A Malkoff drop-in for my father - which one? FOUND!

Update:

Well, I wound up getting a 9P and an M30W for him! I know the 9P might seem like a big rig for him but this light will be mainly for walking the dogs at night and checking the backyard - not for closeup work. I figure the larger size will also be easier for him to hold - it is for me.

I figure the TOP priority are BATTERIES and with this setup I will tell him to just use 2x AAs. I might even pick up some high powered NIMH rechargeables for him. Doesn't get any simpler or safer.

In the end I now its reduced output, BUT, 120+ lumens aint bad for a non-flashaholic and you just cannot beat the simplicity and safety of AA cells and the bombproofness of the 9P.

Down the road I'll pick him up a few dummy CR123s so he can run a primary CR123 and maybe even buy him a bored 18650 body and some AWs - IF he catches the bug :D

Last edited:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you made the right decision going with the W version. As you stated, your father is a "non-flashaholic" and as such, he has probably only used incan flashlights and is used to the illumination they put off. The W version at least will get him close to this with the positive aspect of having a LED. Good pick.:thumbsup: