Converting headlamp

tophery

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,
Well I have a Petzl myolite 3, which has both weak LEDs and incandescent lamps. The incandescent lamp that i have is very weak(maybe like 20-30 lumens i believe). So , this noob is here to ask if it is possible to change the xenon lamp with an LED such as a p4. I barely have knowledge on the inner workings of a flashlight(except those simple click-on, click-off ones:grin2:). I would probably pay someone to mod it for me if possible. I just want to know if i could fix up this light before buying another headlamp. Thanks guys.

gillestugan

Enlightened
The myolite is unfortunately very hard to mod. The small plastic housing is a real problem, as it makes it hard to keep the LED cool.
You may be able to use copperplate to transfer heat to the outside, but it won't be easy to make it work and look good.

You may be able to run it without an external heatsink if you keep the power below 1W, but then it's not much stronger than the halogen, just more efficient.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
as a plus to the - for a led light - totally useless plastic housing, there simply is no space at all to mod the light

direct replacement: Princeton Tech APEX
smaller: Princeton Tech EOS

(one could argue about the level choice of the Apex, imho an EOS (with the levels spread more widely and the max being brighter) with the battery compartment of the Apex, that were the bomb)
There is an even brighter totally new version of the Argo available

Something also quite interesting, but needs an emitter swap: Streamlight Argo HP
(run it with an 17650 Li-Ion instead of the exensive CR123)