Flashlights for kids

drawn

Newly Enlightened
Hello from a new member.

I've looked through the threads and found a lot on what light to buy for myself, a fair bit on what to buy for my wife, but haven't seen anything on what to buy for my kids. They both want flashlights for Christmas.

Here's what I think would be best: really long run time, dim output so they can't blind each other, rugged enough so that a fall from the top bunk bed doesn't kill it, big enough so it doesn't get lost easily, basic on-off user interface, and cheap enough so that replacing it when it does get lost isn't going to kill the budget.

Seems like most grown-up lights go for bright, multiple output levels, small--basically the opposite of what I think the kids need. Anybody have a recommendation?

Thanks in advance.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Easy, just get them each a SureFire M6 :laughing:

Joking aside, how about a Fenix E01? They are 10 lumens, run for 21 hours on 1xAAA, and are built like tanks (and less that $15 each from Fenix-Store with the CPF code). Plus they come in different colors.

Robert

drawn

Newly Enlightened
Cosmo, apparently I don't have good searching skills. Thank you for the links.

Robert, I had looked at those, as I own an L0D and like it a lot, and the run-time on the E01 is fabulous, but I think a single AAA-sized light is just too easy to lose. (Not that I want to give them big lights with multiple D cells that can be used for other purposes....)

Thanks to both of you for the quick replies. Still looking at some of what is in the threadsCosmo sent.

american lockpicker

Enlightened
Hello from a new member.

I've looked through the threads and found a lot on what light to buy for myself, a fair bit on what to buy for my wife, but haven't seen anything on what to buy for my kids. They both want flashlights for Christmas.

Here's what I think would be best: really long run time, dim output so they can't blind each other, rugged enough so that a fall from the top bunk bed doesn't kill it, big enough so it doesn't get lost easily, basic on-off user interface, and cheap enough so that replacing it when it does get lost isn't going to kill the budget.

Seems like most grown-up lights go for bright, multiple output levels, small--basically the opposite of what I think the kids need. Anybody have a recommendation?

Thanks in advance.

Get your kids some minimaglites I know when I was a kid I enjoyed having one. Also they cost under $10, use commonly available batteries and, come in a variety of colours.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Gerber infinity ultra
Fenix E01

Gerber Tempo

Minimag solitaire or 2AA (add an LED drop in if you like)

My son likes my 501B with a DX:6090 module when we go out on night hikes. It has a little hole for a wrist lanyard, that has come in handy countless times out on the trail. He likes it because its strike bezel is "cool" and its lighter in the hand than my better lights. He likes clicky switches better than twist caps.;), and the 501B has a really smooth/rugged reverse clicky.

All are great kids lights IMHO

Around the house my kids use these as well, although none of them (except the Finding Nemo light) are what I would consider drop proof.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKFftdYzkzE&feature=channel_page

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
River Rock 2AAA light from Target. Has decent runtime, isn't super bright, is big enough to not fit in a mouth or get lost, is pretty well built, and only costs $10.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will second the colored mini Mag with an LED drop-in. Something like a Nite-Eyes 3 LED would do well. A lot of the kits even come with clicky switches.

My son has a small River Rock 2-AAA LED light. It has taken a lot of abuse, but is still going strong.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

Joking aside, how about a Fenix E01? They are 10 lumens, run for 21 hours on 1xAAA, and are built like tanks (and less that $15 each from Fenix-Store with the CPF code). Plus they come in different colors.

Robert
Although I'm not a fan of the E01 I think it's a great choice for this application. :thumbsup:

drawn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies so far. I realize that it's an unusual thing to be looking for a dim-ish, big-ish light that will run forever on a set of batteries.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would have loved to have a dim LED light when I was growing up as reading under my covers with a 2D incan was a pain.. even a dorcy AAA LED would have been wonderful if it had existed then. As I have said in other threads a 2AA LED light with 1-4 5mm LEDs would probably be your best bet for the longest and dimmest running light off of the best affordable battery solution there is. You could even consider investing in a charger and nimh AAs if you find they start sneaking your AAs from you too often. I would say that cost of buying the minimag plus dropin is close to $13-$16 you may check the stores for prebuild LED lights I think coleman has a 4 LED 2AA light at walmart but am unsure of the price and quality.

Petersen

Newly Enlightened

Robert

Did that (not the M6 :laughing: ) , but my 6 year old boy has already lost it..
- it's prob. somewhere in one of his drawers or in his big Lego box..

Nice lights, but too tiny, all depending on how well your kids look after it, of course..

farmer17

Newly Enlightened
Mini Maglite LED 2 x AA light on a long bright colored lanyard(harder to loose).

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mini Maglite LED 2 x AA light on a long bright colored lanyard(harder to loose).

Good idea on the lanyard, Lighthound has this GITD lanyard which i think kid would love.

Drop the light anywhere, just whip out a flooder, turn it on, wave it around for a bit and turn it off and look for the GITD lanyard glowing away.

nbp

Flashaholic
Inova X1? 10-15 lumens, simple twisty, pretty much as tough as a AA gets...I have two just in case the lights go out and the fam want some lights for navigating the house. Available at your local Target store.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
How old are your kids and are you worried about them leaving the light on for weeks till the battery runs down or taking the light apart, scattering the pieces (choking hazard). This light they can drop and it'll dim itself off until they pick it up again. I love it so much I buy one every time I see one at the thrift store and give them pr drop ins.

drawn

Newly Enlightened
How old are your kids and are you worried about them leaving the light on for weeks till the battery runs down or taking the light apart, scattering the pieces (choking hazard). This light they can drop and it'll dim itself off until they pick it up again. I love it so much I buy one every time I see one at the thrift store and give them pr drop ins.
They're 5 and 9. I do worry about leaving it on and a little about them dismantling. Which light are you referring to, Carbine?