Your help with a Headlamp please

fire2727

Newly Enlightened
right im a newbie and thinking of buying and then eventually moding one of these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cree-P4-5-LED-3Mde-Headlight-Headlamp-Torch-3w-3-watt_W0QQitemZ330286482965QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches?hash=item330286482965&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

should I buy one with a vue to moding it in the future ? or should i start with something else?

P.S. I know nothing of the LED magic but I will learn :thumbsup:

Last edited:

naked2

Enlightened
Re: Your help please

Just a suggestion, if you want a better chance of getting a reply to your thread, you might want to change the name of it to something like "Your help with a headlamp please", then people versed in and interested in headlamps will more likely read it.

By the way, :welcome:

CampingLED

Enlightened
Hi, :welcome:

I am not familiar with the light that you refer to. I do have two recommendations though:

Ask the moderators to move your thread to the headlamp section where you should get better response,
I have modded almost all the lights (incl. two Petzl headlamps) that I own and would recommend something that will be easy to mod / upgrade in future.

naked2

Enlightened
I thought of suggesting he have it moved also, but since he's considering buying it specifically for modding, it'd work where it is, just with changing the title. But since he's done that, and still no help, maybe a move is needed!

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The good thing on that light is by far the battery holder.

Now, as you can have a fairly good amount of energy (4 x1,2 x 2500 mA...12 theoric watts), you can allow yourself to make a really bright headlamp with a decent runtime.

My advice would be to get a quality step down driver (you can always check the efficiency of the stock one, and see if it is OK).

Something from 500 to 700 mA would be good enough. You now need a good optic. For a headlamp I would try to get one with at least a 100º corona.

Don't forget about making a good heatsink, copper or alloy disc will do the trick, even better if you cut it to increase the surface.

Enough info to start with?

Javier