URGENT: Need a Powerful light for camp trip

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
And I mean I want to HEAR the light leaving the bezal!

I turn 20 next friday (legally) and am going on the yearly trip to setup the camp. It gets dark and you have to compete lightwise with hundreds of ingnorant panzees with mags and worse, Not to mention those that think they are hotshots with their pulsars. I need to have a light to show off with. Money is tight but I am making this a bday gift to myself so I am willing to splurge.
I have my eye on the m3 since I already have a kl2(yes the kl2 and nuthin to put it on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif) I am not sure I want the m3 since it is most likely no brighter than the 9p in output or throw. I am also lookin at the 6v t-head for my g2z. I have 123s out the wazzoo so no prob there.

It does not need to be a surefire but must be readily available online to buy.

I have had the m6 and know how much it sucks so forget that light.

It cant be Too big no larger than the LIGHTCANNON.

paulr

Flashaholic
The T-head doesn't make your g3z brighter, it just tightens up the beam, maybe not as impressive as raw lumens. I wonder if you can put an A19 extender into your g2z and put three cells and a P91 lamp into it. If not, I think you can do that with a G2 (put your G3z bezel on it because of the pyrex lens). Either way would be 200+ lumens in a skinny little light.

The PT Surge is also a good suggestion since it's cheap and it's sort of "stealth", it doesn't look like anything special til you turn it on. It's less bright than the P91 though.

For lots of throw and lots of runtime cheap, try the UKE SL6. Six C cells, supposedly 200 lumens (I doubt that spec), and a tight beam.

And for not quite as much brightness, but still lots of throw, mega technical coolness factor, and white LED light that makes incandescents look sick, try a Space Needle II.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you had wanted something that could start a forest fire, get the X990... You can actually hear the photons buzzing on the short-arc, literally...

Otherwise, the M3 or the UKSL6 would do...

paulr

Flashaholic
If you're not keen on the M3 you can probably put your KL2 on B/S/T and trade it for a KL1 (or sell it and buy a KL1). Did you ever get your E2e back?

As for the X990 and the Vector spotlight, they're way too heavy to take on a camping trip and the X990 is probably more expensive than you want to deal with. You mentioned the Light Cannon and that might actually be a good choice: it's brighter than just about anything that's smaller, it has that bluish HID beam that makes regular flashlights look like candles, and it's in your price range if you're talking about a decked out M3. The one thing that may make it not so great for a "flashlight war" is that it takes a few seconds to warm up or to be ready to restart after you turn it off.

If it were me I'd just get a Surge. It's cheap and will be brighter than those silly Maglites and weighs a lot less than a Light Cannon or even an SL6. For lighting faraway objects though, the SL6 will do better than the Surge.

I_rv_too

Newly Enlightened
Ah, Aragorn ... few folks camp as many nights each year as we do ...

The light that attracts the most attention from nearby campers is the Brinkman LX.

But, despite your poo-pooing Maglite, if you are looking to shine something clear across the campground (which attracts everyone's attention) ... get yourself a Maglite Rechargeable with a new battery and a new bulb.

Nothing ... nothing short of a searchlight ... outthrows (keyword, outthrows) a Maglite Rechargeable with a new-style bulb. I know, I know, it goes against the popular wisdom on this website ... but as many others have noted, the new Maglite bulb makes the Maglite Rechargeable a powerful, powerful light.

Anarchocap

Enlightened
I gotta second the PT Surge suggestion. For $25, it is quite a buy. And all those Mag goofs mouth's drop open when it blows them away. Certainly high on the stealth meter. Plus runtime and AA batts are cheap and easy.

A more costly jaw dropper is Mr. Bulk's Space Needle II. Everyone wants to know who turned the sun on when they look at what they thought was just a feeble Mag 2C!!! But $120 isn't for the faint of heart!

Those two are my favorite WTF?!?! lights.

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
Hi Im aragorn - remember me!

I dispise-
E2e
Surge
M6 (no longer have it)
brinkman lx

I have-

UkEsl6
and litarally 100others

I have had the LC100

Does this jog your memory? Man- you leave for four measly months......

Seriously- thanks for the help you have given- I Bought the M3 last night - hope its good.

paulr

Flashaholic
I thought the E2e was what your teacher took away. What's up with that?

Kremer

Enlightened
I would think a tigerlight would make a perfect choice... smaller than a mag 2D and brighter than a 6D.... I have certainly spooked many MANY people with mine..

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
I_rv_too said:

Nothing ... nothing short of a searchlight ... outthrows (keyword, outthrows) a Maglite Rechargeable with a new-style bulb. I know, I know, it goes against the popular wisdom on this website ... but as many others have noted, the new Maglite bulb makes the Maglite Rechargeable a powerful, powerful light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trevor,

Based on my own testing along with others' I'd have to agree with this statement.

The only possible exception might be a D3 with SRTH or 3incher, or a more powerful light/turbo combination. I haven't yet tested the MagCharger against T-heads so I really can't say. But that brighter bulb literally transforms the MC from an excellent bright workhorse into a long throw champ of remarkable intensity.

IMO it is now the furthest-throwing non-turbohead production flashlight. The TigerLight is first rate and compact, but the MC clearly out-throws and out-runs it. If you want a really long run, 2 hours or more, get the PowerStream 1/2 D cells.

There are also LemLux's instructions for a very easy superbright mod that uses a MAG 2C, 4 123's, a Carly #808 (if I'm not mistaken) and a tube to hold the batteries. It's probably the brightest flashlight for the money. Sorry I don't have the link, but if you're interested I can look for it.

Brightnorm