Cold weather power outage sleeping

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is something I posted on another site that I moderate, it worked well for me when we lost power in winter for a week.

Our ancestors had a good idea borne out of need, bed curtains. In unheated houses or wood burning only, heat was at a premium. Coupled with a canapy of some kind and they make an indoor tent. Why you ask do you need an indoor tent? If you live in a cold climate in winter, you may loose electricity, for an extended period perhaps. Sometimes especially if you live in a relatively remote area it can be longer, or more often. An indoor tent gives you place to go be relatively warm, especially when sleeping.

I have a poster bed so this was easy. I made a removable framework that attaches to the posters a bit higher than sitting height, no need to make it much larger. Wool blankets (I buy them whenever I see them cheap, even used ones, They have dozens of uses including car carry, capotes, ponchos, bed blankets, hats, mittens, clothing) make up the canapy and bed curtains. If you like a bit of fresh air you can leave gaps on edges. Body heat and your breath will help keep this warm when occupied. One thing to remember is that if used for long periods the blanket materials will perhaps get damp from breath exhalation and need to be aired out and dried or rotated with dry matierals.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our cats insisted on sleeping with us during this period, lol. They usually sleep elsewhere.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
When I was a kid I had a tent that fit ontop of a twin mattress like a fitted sheet.

It was on the bed for 4 years before we lost it in a move. I loved that thing!