Switches: LiteFlux LF3XT vs. NiteCore D10/EX10

snakyjake

Enlightened
How do the switches compare between LiteFlux L3XT electronic switch versus NiteCore D10/EX10 piston drive, and the standard clicky?

From my understanding, the LF3XT is an electronic switch. From a post, it sounds like there's a delay (I may have read the post wrong).

NiteCore's is responsive to my liking. Love the feel of the piston. "Sensitivity" and stroke can be adjusted by turning the bezel to elongate the piston stroke. Although, I think the switch/piston might be finicky depending on the contact it makes with switch in the bezel, or maybe it is the software, or maybe it is my thumb. Not sure, but I notice it being different than a simply clicky.

I'd say the clicky switch is near 100% reliable. Piston Drive a bit less, perhaps? Not sure where the LF3XT switch stands?

Are there other lights that fall into this category of switches? If so, please list and compare.

Thanks,

Jake

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I can only comment on the LF3XT. I only notice a delay in switching the light off. I may have read that it amounts to 0.3 sec. There seems to be no noticeable delay in turning it on. Since it is an electronic switch no real force is required, just a sharp complete press. A friend who once owned a Novatac said it was quite similar. The amount of travel for a press is probably no more than a couple millimeters.

Geoff

JBorneu

Enlightened
Clicky switches are actually quite unreliable. Even a good clicky will build up carbon on the contacts and start to flicker over time. Not an issue of you don't use your lights that much or are willing to change a switch now and then.

The piston drive concept is a lot more reliable, but not each light with a piston drive swich will be more reliable than each light with a clicky switch. And there are complaints of other issues.

I actually think there are some very informative threads about switch reliability here on CPF. Try to find them with the search function.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The button movement on the LF3XT is far less than on either the D10 or the EX10. The effort to push the switch is also much less. With the EX10/D10 you are pressing against the resistance of a large spring inside the battery tube (the PD cylinder itself) and against the resistance of the split ring's spring on the head's circuit board. With the LF3XT you are pressing only against the resistance of a small spring in the switch itself. The battery tube in the LF3XT does not move when you operate the switch. The extra effort of pressing the PD of the EX10/D10 can result in erratic switching to high or low mode during ramping should your thumb pressure become unsteady (the circuits read this unsteadiness as multiple presses). Or sometimes the light will unexpectedly shut off while ramping because your thumb pressure is not firm and constant enough. There is none of this erratic behavior with the easier to operate LF3XT. There are no sore thumbs, either with the LiteFlux.:p

The tactile feedback from the LF3XT switch is almost none; ie, unlike the Novatac p120, there is no palpable or audible click. Some people, especially those who are more accustomed to mechanical switches that fire even before the switch is depressed all the way, initially don't like the LF3XT's switch. Even in momentary mode, in order for the LF3XT switch to make proper contact, the switch needs to be depressed all the way. Again, because that movement is so short, it isn't a problem, but it does take some getting used to. Once you do, however, this short movement becomes attractive, because it allows one to do multiple presses very quickly in rapid sequence, something needed for switching light levels or programming the light's features.