Sil-Glyde lubricant and relatives...

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
So instead of getting lots of stuff done on my day off today, I'm sitting here looking up the MSDS for Sil-Glyde lubricating compound. No real reason other than I've become curious as to whether it truely is a good lube for various things I use it for (flashlights, spark plug boots, weather stripping). And I've found some interesting information.

The following three MSDS links are relavant.
AGS Dielectric Connector Protector (DCP)
AGS Dielectric Silicone Compound (DSC)
AGS Sil-Glyde (SG)

Now, based on the descriptions, SG is the odd man out, having been created specifically for lubrication and water repellancy. DCP and DSC have been designed for use as dielectric greases to protect connections. But take a look at the ingredients. DCP and SG are almost identical, with SG having a number of 0.1-1% additives and both utilizing "Polyproylene Glycol" as well as "Methylated Silica." DSC, on the other hand, uses "Amorphous Silica, Fumed" and "Methylated Silica" as the only ingredients.

Soooo.... It would appear all are a good and fine lubricant for threads and o-rings (whether butyl or buna), but really thats not where I'm going. Can anybody quantify the differences that these lubricants may have in real world uses? It would seem that the SG will be a tackier, better lubricant but what about DSC vs. DCP; whats with the different formulations for the same job? And further (this is a stretch, as its not an automotive forum) would there be any reason not to use SG as a dielectric grease on your car??