Recommend me a light please

bunbut

Newly Enlightened
We had power outage for good 4 days, and I had number of bright lights.
Now, in case of emergency again, so I need lights will last for days or weeks or the longest possible with AA or CR123a batteries. It just bright barely enough to move around both inside and outside. The cheaper the better because I need to keep a few of these around. Single lowest mode is better also

Thank you for helping.

cruisemissile

Enlightened
hmm., interesting.
I know that the new Maglite LED (D cell) have a long run time (several days).
I have a hurricane emergency kit so I've thought this through. I would be reluctant to rely on just battery power alone.

You may want to check out some crank flashlights to save on batteries.

I know this is a flashlight forum, but besides things like candles and cyalume light sticks,
I have a few propane bottles with a stove, and I invested in a lamp attachment to run off the propane. (easily found in places like the camping aisle of walmart), use these propane things with ventilation or outdoors if possible.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Gerber Infinity Ultras and Fenix E01's with a stockpile of L91's and L92's.

Cyalume sticks have only a 4 year shelf life, and put out very little light. I do not recommend them or most crank lights for emergency storage.

Last edited:

Mdinana

Enlightened
I second the Gerber Infinity. You can get them for around $18 at REI (if it's near you). It's essentially a 5mm led run off a AA. Available in white or red (I use the red in my car for reading stuff, great so the driver doesn't lose night vision).

They also make a AAA version, very slight difference in output.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
or an expensive light with adjustable output?
nitecores come to mind. but they're expensive.

GPB

Enlightened
The Nite Ize 2-6 cell LED drop in is an incredibly long lasting light. It is a pretty standard bulb form, so it can go in almost any dime store flashlight and it just runs and runs and runs. I don't know how long it runs because I don't feed it fresh batteries anymore. I take the batteries that are too depleted to run the kids toys and use them. It sucks them down to below 0.8 volts and still gives some light. My son uses for 3+ hours every night and it goes for weeks. It is an amazing bulb for runtime. Its not so great for brightness or beam quality, but if you're looking for a long lasting bulb, pick this up and put it in something you already have.

cruisemissile

Enlightened
we can all wait for the new Surefire Optimus or Invictus. on the lowest setting they'll prob run for a loooong time, and on highest setting , they will sizzle the eyeballs of martians.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix E01 w. lithiums,
mod Your MiniMags with that 5mm led + lithiums
keep a package of lithiums with them
... 10+ years shelf life

multilevel light for low and high output --> all of the better makes like Fenix, Jetbeam, ...

care for Your rechargeable cells. 2 times/year checking at least
switch to precharged / low self discharge cells

rotncore

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the Gerber IU. ~$20, meets the functions you describe. You may also want to consider a headlight, but cheaper ones I find are usually AAA rather than AA.

bunbut

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the input. Keep it coming.
I am leaning to the Gerber because the price and there is REI store near me.

Hendrikjansen

Newly Enlightened
hmm., interesting.
I know that the new Maglite LED (D cell) have a long run time (several days).
I have a hurricane emergency kit so I've thought this through. I would be reluctant to rely on just battery power alone.

You may want to check out some crank flashlights to save on batteries.

I know this is a flashlight forum, but besides things like candles and cyalume light sticks,
I have a few propane bottles with a stove, and I invested in a lamp attachment to run off the propane. (easily found in places like the camping aisle of walmart), use these propane things with ventilation or outdoors if possible.
When te new maglite is coming and what is the price range and output>?

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglight 3D, with magLED is my prefered extended outage light. 20some hours of runtime, and plenty of light for a good week or two's worth of power outage even with heavy use.

cruisemissile

Enlightened
He's talking about the old "new" MagLED.

correct. i got my MAG 3D LED at Lowes for $15 right after thanksgiving.
its a good thrower too. with the shiny reflector, it throws really well.
I point it up to the sky and the beam looks kinda like a light saber or a hollywood spot light.