QUERY 'BOUT DEREELIGHT WC R2 vs XR-E Q5 BULBS

RaymondMillbrae

Newly Enlightened
Hey folks,

I'd like your opinions on something.

I was juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust about ready to purchase the Dereelight CL1H V4 (3SD WC R2), when Jay contacted me and said they do not have the WC R2 bin for the set-up I wanted. (They only have the WC R2 bin for the 1SM-2...which I do not want).

He also mentioned that...umm...let me quote him instead:

QUOTE:
I have the Q5's available in all versions... they're not noticeably less bright, and in fact many of them are testing the same as the R2's I had before. I think each LED's Vf plays an important part here.

So here's my question (for those of yall that own a Q5 bin, and the R2 bin)...is that true? Is there not much of a difference?

And if that's true, should I just purchase the Q5 model?

It seems curious to me, because if there was not that much of a difference, then why would someone put forth the effort - and money - to invent an R2 bin?

Should I wait for the WC R2 bin to restock again, or should I just "go for it" and purchase the Q5 bin light?

REASONED responses are appreciated - as well as feedback from those that have PERSONAL experience with this.

TIA!

In Christ: Raymond

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: QUERY 'BOUT WC R2 vs XR-E Q5 BULBS

The Q5 is about 7% less bright than R2, but the eye can't notice differences less than 15-20%.

lightmyway

Newly Enlightened
Go for it unless you like waiting,you will not be able to tell the difference with the naked eye,myself i prefer the Q3 for its more natural color rendering althought its not as bright (as perceived by my eye) as the Q5 or the R2.

RaymondMillbrae

Newly Enlightened
Is there a difference in UI's or burn time?

Is the only difference between the Q5 and the R2, lumens?

I'm just about to place an order for the Q5...but I'm gonna hold back another day or two to read the responses.

Once again, I am using 18650's exclusively, and I prefer the colder, bluer, tint on a good thrower.

Thanks again, folks.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have asked in the past whether or not anyone could tell the difference in brightness between a Q5 and a R2 and no one could. I suggest taking the Q5 and waiting until a R3 or better pill is offered and than upgrading.

RaymondMillbrae

Newly Enlightened
Thanks folks.

I spoke with Jay (FlashCrazy, the Dereelight doode), and here's his comment on the brightness of the Q5 vs the R2, verbatim:

QUOTE:

...I have the lux numbers written down for the R2's I've tested. I can test several of the 3SD Q5's that I have now, and pick one that measures the same (or very close) to the R2 numbers. Like I mentioned before, the Q5 and R2 specs are so close that I've had some R2's test lower than the Q5's. I'm sure if I were able to test just the LED on a bench with a calibrated current going to them, the R2's would be brighter every time. But other things affect the current being delivered to the LED when installed in a flashlight. The driver circuit in the pills can vary a bit, there's multiple solder points in each driver, a bit of wiring, etc. All of these things add up to differences in current to the emitter.

But the real test is what each flashlight puts out, and the lux meter shows the real story. :)

As for the difference in UI functions, longer burn time, color of the light, etc. Here is his response, verbatim:

QUOTE:

The only difference is the lumen output. They're exactly the same emitter, just labeled as a different bin (sorted as to brightness). They're both the WC tint bin, which is cool white... so no difference in color.

Thanks,

Jay

OK, that's all folks. I just wanted to close this thread with the information I received straight from the horses mouth.

Later, Gators.