G2 with Aluminum Head + FM35 good or bad idea?

lightinsky

Enlightened
Was wondering from the experts here at CPF if using a FM35 filter on my G2 with Aluminum Head defeats the heatsink purpose. In other words will my G2 not disperse heat properly if I put the FM35 filter on the Aluminum head of my G2? Thanks in advance!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I am leaning towards bad but perhaps not, what LED is in there?
Stock P60L, should do OK sice it turns down the output automatically when hot.

Size15's

Flashaholic
If you're not using a P60L in your G2L then you're on your own regarding the aftermarket drop-in.

In my experience very little red light is produced by filtering a 'white' light LED. If you need red light then perhaps a red Photon Microlight is a more effective solution?

lightinsky

Enlightened
If you're not using a P60L in your G2L then you're on your own regarding the aftermarket drop-in.

In my experience very little red light is produced by filtering a 'white' light LED. If you need red light then perhaps a red Photon Microlight is a more effective solution?

Okay thanks. Do you think a FM35 will hinder the Aluminum head in dissapating heat from the Led or is it ok to use it over the alum head?

Size15's

Flashaholic
My experience of using the BeamFilters on incandescent SureFires is that they are indeed excellent heat traps. Not that this matter much to incandescents of course.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Okay thanks. Do you think a FM35 will hinder the Aluminum head in dissapating heat from the Led or is it ok to use it over the alum head?

It should be ok. I have a 1447 and it doesn't get that hot anyway. Why are you intent on using the FM35? Like Size15's said, in effect, there is not a lot of red in the LED spectrum. Run the P60 with that filter and you will have plenty of red light.

Bill

Last edited:

lightinsky

Enlightened
It should be ok. I have a 1447 and it doesn't get that hot anyway. Why are you intent on using the FM35? Like Size15's said, in effect, there is not a lot of red in the LED spectrum. Run the P60 with that filter and you will have plenty of red light.

Bill

I guess I like the convenience of having a red light when needed. However you are right the red light isn't as good in an led as it is in the incan p60. Maybe I'll just get a red led only light.