Where can I buy a L2D Premium Q5 Head ?

NightTime

Newly Enlightened
A few months ago, I left my L2D at turbo mode for to long
ohgeez.gif
. It was a Premium 100 version (those tiny little emitters). Guess what ? The emitter is burned now
sick2.gif
. It shines like a 5mm emitter! Very purple color.

Anyway, I thought it would be a nice opportunitty to "upgrade" it with the Premium Q5 version. The problem is that I can't find Q5 heads to buy. If I go to 4sevens.com and click on Fenix parts it says Non-Q5 L1D/L2D/P2D Heads.

Any ideas for a place to buy? Thanks!

BTW a LD20 would also do the job I guess.

Marduke

Flashaholic
There were some bad recalled Rebel emitters put onto the market. That is one reason Fenix stopped using them. You may have received a bad one. I suggest you contact your dealer for a replacement.

NightTime

Newly Enlightened
how are you with modding? You could open it up and put in an R2 :D

I allready opened it. I had this strange idea of installing a MC-E Cree quad emitter in it. Then I realised I would need something else then just two AA in it in order to have the proper voltage.

Anyway, I'm not sure soldering an emitter with my 18$ soldering gun :thinking: ! I'll burn it for sure!

NightTime

Newly Enlightened
There were some bad recalled Rebel emitters put onto the market. That is one reason Fenix stopped using them. You may have received a bad one. I suggest you contact your dealer for a replacement.

Forget replacement, I opened it. I allready said to myself that I probably just had a bad emitter. But I wasn't sure chosing between a 35$ new Q5 head or I don't know how much for shipping and handling for another R100 replacement.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I allready opened it. I had this strange idea of installing a MC-E Cree quad emitter in it. Then I realised I would need something else then just two AA in it in order to have the proper voltage.

Anyway, I'm not sure soldering an emitter with my 18$ soldering gun :thinking: ! I'll burn it for sure!

lol, my first dabble into soldering was with a 18W soldering iron of my dad's from the 1950's or so, soldered about 10 rebels on boards with this plus a load of connections. Now using a "temperature controlled" soldering iron (i.e, big pot in series with the resistor) from maplin for £5 ($8) and I plan to solder in series 7 MC-E's with this setup (and a magnifying glass!)

It's not as hard as you think! And if you do fry it, what have you lost?

As for an MC-E, it's perfectly possible. I plan to run one in parallel at about 100ma, so each die is running as efficiently as possible for 40 odd lumens at 130+ lumens/watt off a single AAA alkie. Obviously, if you want to overdrive it for ~20 watts/emitter (another project of mine ;)) you'll need substantially more than 2xAA's; 6 IMR18650's to be precise :ironic:

The main problem with the MC-E is with such a small reflector is that you can easily end up with a donut hole (ergh)

NightTime

Newly Enlightened
EliteLED had some not that long ago.

Looks like the best I can get is another Luxeon Rebel 100 head. That makes 56.62 $ for a simple head. 29.95+17.00 shipping = 46.95 converted into Canadian$ --> 56.62$. At that price I should buy another one. Thank you anyway for the link.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
How about buying a L1D and then you swap the head between the two bodies and have the option to have a 1xAA or 2xAA light.

NightTime

Newly Enlightened
The main problem with the MC-E is with such a small reflector is that you can easily end up with a donut hole (ergh)

It would be fun to try though :devil:. So running a MC-E with 2aa sounds possible to you? I was reading this post last week:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/212835

But I still can't figure how I should do my jumpers. Lots of different ways to plug it. Also, can I keep my circuit? If not, than I won't start this kind of mod. I'll wait for another generation from Fenix.

As I was finished makind my own Super long lasting Headlamp (L1D head with 2AA*4 in parallel), I saw their new headband :shakehead. I'll fix my L2D (if it's repaired) and my Olight T25 with Surefire F04 in option in it and here we go. Better than my bulky headlamp.

NightTime

Newly Enlightened
Could swap the LED for a Cree XP-E. You can't use a XR-E because the reflector is not right for it.

I thought the same thing. But after dismantling the head, there was a thin donut shaped kind of ring-spacer-adapter around the emitter that fell off. I got rid of it. Now I can solder a XR-E emitter.

NightTime

Newly Enlightened
How about buying a L1D and then you swap the head between the two bodies and have the option to have a 1xAA or 2xAA light.

I allready have the L1D Premium Q5 as my EDC light. I don't like to think that my L2D body is an option. It's another light. I don't like to swap the heads everytime. By the mean time, that's what I do. Actually no. I use my Olight T25 instead, but I wish getting both on a Fenix Headband. Might be a little bit heavy though :thinking:. I'll try it anyway.

NightTime

Newly Enlightened
But what about the hole in the reflector base itself???

The donut shaped kind of ring-spacer-adapter was around the emitter AT the base of the reflector. Sorry I wasn't clear. I would like to send some pics but I can't figure how! When I press the "Insert image" icon there is a window asking me to write the URL? I need a "browser" button. Anyway I'm not sure I want to look for this tiny little thing in my garbage can. Might be a reason to use my flashlight though :whistle:. Just kidding.

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be fun to try though :devil:. So running a MC-E with 2aa sounds possible to you? I was reading this post last week:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/212835

But I still can't figure how I should do my jumpers. Lots of different ways to plug it. Also, can I keep my circuit? If not, than I won't start this kind of mod. I'll wait for another generation from Fenix.

Depends. The easiest way would be to wire it 4P, then solder as you would to an XR-E with the original driver. If you want to go wild, you could solder it 4P, remove the circuit, put in a new one capable of belting out 2A+ and have monster output from a really small light, the main problem would be finding a driver small enough that's capable of outputting that much current; I can't think of any off the top of my head.

If using an MC-E, it's probably not a bad idea to stick a bit of scotch tape on the inside of the glass lens to smooth out the beam a bit (though it will make it floodier)

I would like to send some pics but I can't figure how! Went I press the "Insert image" icon there is a window asking me to write the URL? I need a "browser" button.

There's no attach option on CPF. You need to upload your images, say at imageshack (where you will get a browser window up), then link to the images URL in the forum using the image button. Also, images need to be smaller than 800x800 pixels :)

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like Marduke said the Rebel reflector won't work with a Cree, I've tried it, crappy beam. If you're going to put a Cree in the light, I have a Cree reflector that I'll trade for your Rebel one. PM me if interested.

NightTime

Newly Enlightened
[...]put in a new one capable of belting out 2A+ and have monster output from a really small light, the main problem would be finding a driver small enough that's capable of outputting that much current; I can't think of any off the top of my head.

If using an MC-E, it's probably not a bad idea to stick a bit of scotch tape on the inside of the glass lens to smooth out the beam a bit (though it will make it floodier)

I think the Eagletac P10A2 has a A800 driver and did read on a thread (can't find it) that the batteries where driven very hard on HIGH (>2 amps). I think all give the mod a try.

I don't think all need to flood the beam with the MC-E. It's already floodier than other pills. BTW, I don't think the scotch tape would survive long with that amount of light :D.
Thank for the explanation about uploading pictures :thanks:.

NightTime

Newly Enlightened
Like Marduke said the Rebel reflector won't work with a Cree, I've tried it, crappy beam. If you're going to put a Cree in the light, I have a Cree reflector that I'll trade for your Rebel one. PM me if interested.

Thanks for the warning. I took note of your proposition. Do you think the MC-E pill fits with a Cree reflector?

I'm not sure, but I think we are becoming off topic here:thinking:. Sorry if that's the case, cause I'm still searching for a L2D/L1D/P2D Premium Q5 head...