[Computer Security] Updates for Opera, FireFox and Internet Explorer

mechBgon

Enlightened
Just a heads-up that:

• Opera has been updated to 9.63 (download links)
  • FireFox has just been updated to 3.0.5 (download links), or 2.0.0.20 for FF2 users (download links)
  • on December 17th, there will be a Critical Update released for Internet Explorer versions 5, 6, 7 and 8(beta) available via Automatic Updates and from the Microsoft Update site or the lesser Windows Update site (I recommend Windows users get Microsoft Update, because the MU engine can patch stuff like Office and other MS software, not just Windows and its components).
These updates fix major security issues in Opera, FireFox, and Internet Explorer, and they're not limited to Windows only, so make time to get your browsers updated :poke:

Tangentially, this is the last time FireFox 2 will be updated, so FF fans should move on to FF3 in order to keep getting security updates and to keep getting warnings of phishing sites.

On the topic of security, Secunia has a free checkup utility for home users of Windows. It'll find vulnerable software you have installed, and link you to patches that fix the problems. They've got both an installable version, and a browser-based one: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/ Good stuff :twothumbs

Heck, while I'm at it... Apple has recently released a security update package for OS X, as many of the Apple users here probably already know. More info on that at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3338. Patch 'em up :tinfoil:

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tangentially, this is the last time FireFox 2 will be updated, so FF fans should move on to FF3 in order to keep getting security updates and to keep getting warnings of phishing sites.
Hell no, not until they add an option for getting the URL bar to work as in FF2. I hate it that when you type something it searches the titles of the pages as well as the URLs. I can see how some people might like that, but I want the URLs alone.

allthumbs

Newly Enlightened
Fallingwater, There`s an extension that will fix that oldbar 1.2
I had the same complaint.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried oldbar, but it only alters the look of the thing. It doesn't stop it from searching the titles... at least, not a few days ago when I checked it.

allthumbs

Newly Enlightened

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Just thought I would say my firefox asked me to update to 2.00.20 tonight...... so they haven't given up yet on it.

mechBgon

Enlightened
Just thought I would say my firefox asked me to update to 2.00.20 tonight...... so they haven't given up yet on it.

According to the release notes for 2.0.0.20, they fixed one final highly-critical vulnerability. They also note that anti-phishing is now disabled, and say (again) that there won't be any more security fixes for FF2.x, so they encourage people to move on.