Have 12 x 18650s, need a light that uses those batts

ruriimasu

Enlightened
I managed to salvaged 12 x 18650s from 2 relatively new laptop battery packs that were shorted out due to AC power supply problem. I tested them out, still have 3.87 each (partially discharged). But I don't have an 18650 host.... YET! :duh2:

So I browsed through DX, saw the prices of newer 18650s are getting cheaper. I would like to get one with at least 1.5hrs runtime on high, preferably 2 modes (high and low), and has at least 250lumens or at least the high can blind a bearthe moment I switch it on! It has to be a thrower as well as producing enough spill (not very important for the spill), and also below $20. There don't seem to be any that has all my requirements with a budget of $20, so should I wait for newer models or just get the WF-501B camoflaged but with one mode only? Buying this light is not a need, it's just a want as most probably I won't be needing it for anything I do, hence the small budget (also I'm saving up wedding funds so I have to be responsible with money nowadays!). :broke:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
$20 for a 18650 light?? Sorry man, but i dont think that is possible.

Depending on what is more important for you, throw or flood, there are various models to consider, if you're looking at DX, for throw consider the Aurora WF-600, good throw and a usable spill ( i own one and it's pretty ok for the price ). I got it at $39 but i think the price has dropped.

If its flood that you want, then consider the P7 lights that DX offers, read the reviews there and decide. Again the prices are between $35 - $50

But if you're prepared to spend a bit more (well, maybe not a BIT but considerably more than $20), consider it a long term investment in a light, you can consider the Jetbeam Jet III, they have various models available and those lights are, IMHO, a keeper.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
250+ lumen on a single 18650 and under $20 aren't compatible...

That said there are some decent beaters on DX that use 18650s.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm myself looking at a Trustfire TR-C2 MC-E 1x18650 flashlight that should have everything you require. It does cost $33, but if you can't spare $13 you're likely to have more immediate problems than what flashlight to get (such as, say, not starving) :p

ruriimasu

Enlightened
i would spare the extra few bucks had i not bought over 30+ lights this year. my gf is so :mad: with me. and i think a $20 light is the most i can go without hurting us. but i dont want to buy 1 at a higher price and yet lie that i got it under $20. :sigh: but those batts are screaming "feed us"! :ohgeez:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm .... Do you have any SF or SF clones ?
If you do, get one of Fivemega/Nites 2 x 18650 bodies (yes I know slightly over budget )
Then use the head and tailcap from one of your SF or clones.
Hopefully you will have one of those cheap China-made "Super-Bright"
P60 dropins that will take the voltage from 2 rechargeable Li-ion cells
:twothumbs

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or offer to sell or trade a few of those 18650's, in fact I am looking for 2 unprotected cells myself currently. What brand are they?

ruriimasu

Enlightened
sell some lights to fund your purchase, that might also appease your girlfriend

why didnt i thought of this!? i may just sell a brandless cree lantern to a friend who likes it so much. the sales proceed + the $20 should be enough to get me one of those $30ish aurora models which i set my eyes on :grin2:

ruriimasu

Enlightened
Or offer to sell or trade a few of those 18650's, in fact I am looking for 2 unprotected cells myself currently. What brand are they?

im not sure of the brand. they are all green in color, taken out of lenovo laptop battery packs. they have the characters SF followed by 18650 but i doubt they are surefires. anyway, i dont think it is feasible to send the batts from my country to yours, the airfeight will be too costly :p

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
those sound like sonys.
but, the sonys I have are labled "sony fukushima stg"

Here's a picture of all of the cells I have:
5 Samsungs on top
6 panasonics on the left
7 sonys on the right

_MG_5171-800.jpg

Last edited:

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
im not sure of the brand. they are all green in color, taken out of lenovo laptop battery packs. they have the characters SF followed by 18650 but i doubt they are surefires. anyway, i dont think it is feasible to send the batts from my country to yours, the airfeight will be too costly :p

Well sorry to hear that, I am afraid I didn't know where you were located. Well, best of luck anyhow!

And no, I don't think the wf-501B will throw like you want it to. Stick with the deep reflectors like the wf-600 mentioned by hyperloop. There is a wf-600 Q2 unbranded for 28$. I dunno if the Aurora is any different or not.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up one of these and it is a surprisingly good light. Almost identical in size to a P3D and almost identical in performance. I'm in the process of turning the switch into a forward clickie.

*edit* Oh yeah, I can't recommend using unprotected 18650's in any light. The protected cell is definitely worth the extra money.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Any boost regulated light should be avoided as you will likely cause damage to your unprotected 18650s through over-discharge. Pick out one that is normally a 2xCR123 or 2xRCR123 light that happens to be compatible with the size of an 18650, this way it will be buck regulated, and you will start to see some dimming before the cell is dramatically over-discharged.

2x18650 LED lights are out of the question for unprotected cells. They will work right down to below 2V per cell and seriously damage your batteries.

Eric