DBS v2 (MC-E and R2) and Raidfire Spear Beamshots

FireStik

Newly Enlightened
If you're on the fence as to whether or not to spring for the new Dereelight DBS v2 MC-E, this may help.

The distance to the garage is 60 feet
Camera settings: 1 second, f3.5, ISO 250

Hope this helps someone. :)

controlyc9.jpg

mceopyr3.jpg

mcesmoothye2.jpg

r2ht5.jpg

spearmj8.jpg

Edit: Fixed the ISO issue mentioned below...

Last edited:

FireStik

Newly Enlightened
Almost forgot.....you can purchase them here if you're in the U.S.

I've purchased from Flashcrazy twice now, and he's an outstanding dealer. :thumbsup:

UlrikJ

Newly Enlightened
I know ;) Im waiting for the MC-E pill for my CL1H V4 :devil: It should be under development ...

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to use exactly same exposure setting for all shots. The DBS R2 and Spear garage shots are taken with 720 ISO and MC-E shots are taken with 220 and 280 ISO. Those beamshots are not comparable.

finn

Newly Enlightened
Camera settings: 1 second, f3.5, ISO 720-800
:oops:
Check your iso settings. Your iso range is way higher than it should be. Can you turn auto iso off completely? EXIF shows 200 for the control, 220 for mce, and 720 for r2.

Axion

Enlightened
You need to use exactly same exposure setting for all shots. The DBS R2 and Spear garage shots are taken with 720 ISO and MC-E shots are taken with 220 and 280 ISO. Those beamshots are not comparable.

I knew something was funny, in his beam shots the R2 spill looks brighter then the MC-E spill. In my experience (check my beam shot thread in my sig) the MC-E spill should blow everything else away.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
haha, I think the control should be a shot of the place in the dark.. unless you have some sort of sun-bright device hidden away.

FireStik

Newly Enlightened
:oops:
Check your iso settings. Your iso range is way higher than it should be. Can you turn auto iso off completely? EXIF shows 200 for the control, 220 for mce, and 720 for r2.
#!%^*&!!.....Crap! I'll rerun the test so they're more comparible. It started out as a couple of simple shots to show you guys the difference between reflector types on the new DBS with MC-E. When I expanded the test I should have used both sides of my brain. Duh...

Stay tuned...

FireStik

Newly Enlightened
haha, I think the control should be a shot of the place in the dark.. unless you have some sort of sun-bright device hidden away.
The purpose of the control shot was to show the color of the garage and relative distance of the tree in the background. In the dark everything's black except that guy's porch light on the other side of the garage. But since you asked...

control2fs5.jpg

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is your Spear glued? If not unscrew the head a bit. Throw will be much better.

FireStik

Newly Enlightened
Is your Spear glued? If not unscrew the head a bit. Throw will be much better.
Yea it must be glued with barnacle cement - extremely solid. If I didn't have the DBS I'd probably try to remove it. Still, the Spear's throw is quite impressive as-is.

FireStik

Newly Enlightened
OK, fixed my screw-up...:eek:

Note to self:
1. Switch on brain
2. Take pics
3. Examine pics for stupidity factor
4. Post pics

taschenlampe

Enlightened
Thank you for the interesting beamshots!

At my trials to make comparable beamshots I found that a fixed light source (white balance)
setting works better than light source "Auto".

With my Olympus camera light source "Fine weather" works best.

tl

FireStik

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the interesting beamshots!

At my trials to make comparable beamshots I found that a fixed light source (white balance)
setting works better than light source "Auto".

With my Olympus camera light source "Fine weather" works best.

tl
Thanks for the tip on that! If I can find a better location (and some time) I plan to get some longer distance shots. I'll lock WB and see if I can find that sweet spot. :thumbsup:

We're getting dumped on with 12" of snow at the moment. No surprise that I found the R2 to be much more useable in this weather, so I still can't recommend one DBS model for all conditions.

Now if they made a focusable MC-E the choice would be much easier...