Build or Buy? Multi Cree.

electric sheep

Enlightened
I am very new to this world and like all my interests i am becoming slightly obsessive. I now want a compact 700+ Lumen's set up for wild camping and domestic carry/use. It must be running on a high energy density rechargeable battery and have multiple settings for Max and min outputs. Looking at the Wolf Eyes again as they have a number of 700+ but i like the idea of a custom. Question is should i buy one or try and build one?
I understand the basis premise of Mag D cell conversion but not sure if i would be better of getting one that someone has made well and at a later date attempting my own having the benefit of seeing how it should be done. How would i approach to build me one? What cost am i looking at? Or should i go for a factory Jobie?

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Build!!! :)

4x XR-E R2's, a 2D mag with 2x18650's* (AW), a shark boost driver (the sandwich shoppe), perfect quad emitter heatsink (4sevens or the sandwich shoppe), 4x reflectors (McRxxx's from the sandwich shoppe again, not sure how big you can go with a mag head), artic silver 5 (sandwich shoppe...), UCL lens (flashlightlens.com or something like that). Think that's everything! Don't forget to do some resistance fixes on the mag switch as well (search it).

*you need to cut down the tailcap spring. I think new ones the correct length for 2x18650 are available somewhere.....

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats the best but also the most expensive mod (because of the reflectors. Visuably better than anythinge else, but costy)

only thing I would change is the host. No Mag and then waste space by puttin 1865s in.
Get a light from dealextreme that is made for 2 18650s and mod the rest with the parts mentionned.
(probably You like that light in original state already. Much worse than when modded, but ...)

using a Shark makes it more difficult to have multilevel, You would have to add an additional switch for different resistor settings (like the pot mod, but with fixed levels).
Shark+Remora were possible
(let me add, that I dont like how they work but that does not have to apply to You)

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not use a four-die MC-E instead of four separate LEDs? There are 2x18650 lights available that might do the job without even needing modding.

electric sheep

Enlightened
Would love to buy without modding just to give me a benchmark to go on from. Who on here could build me one and ship to the UK?

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want the very best, ask Cmacclel.
Have a look in Custom builders and modders section, Mac has his own
subforum ..... "Mac's Customs" :devil::devil::devil:

electric sheep

Enlightened
I will, just found an old heavy light with rechargable battery that outputs 6v at 55W, might be good for something.