PALight alternatives and sources

Longden

Newly Enlightened
I bought a bunch of the PAL Survival lights a year ago and thought I finally had enough to last me till old age. Well, I ended up handing them out to relatives and friends who I hated to see without a decent light. All were initially skeptical and then impressed with the constant on feature, and also with the fact that the battery just seems to go on and on.

So now I'm finding myself short on these lights and was going to order a couple more. Just thought I'd check first to see if there's a comparable 9v light these days in terms of compactness and longevity (and the constant on feature).

I've seen some threads about the Pak-Lite, but I don't think it has a constant on nor does it have a lens for a nice focused beam which I often need.

Also, does anyone have a good source for the PAL Survival? I see about $17.50 at TheLEDLight.com which is where I think I bought my first Survival Gold.

Thanks.

- Longden

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightguy has them for $15.75. he has great service. i really like the palights as well.

though much more expensive (and a great deal brighter), you could get an eternalight with the night beacon. those bats last a ver long time as well.

Bob

Longden

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the tip on Brightguy.

In fact, I have one of the Eternalights, but I prefer the PAL. I like that it's smaller and simpler, not to mention the number of times the Eternalight has slipped out of my hands.

All of the current PAL Survivals have a common LED brightness don't they? I wasn't sure if there were older models to avoid that have a lower brightness.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
im not sure about brightness differences. i do know that some models have a 5mm led, and some have the 3mm surface mount led.

not sure if one is brighter, but i like the un-focused beam of the 5mm quite a bit.

Bob

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both a Pal Sure Light and the Pak-Lite. As far as I'm concerned, forget the Pak-Lite. It's more of a novelty than anything else. At $19.95 and $3.95 shipping, it's WAY overpriced. The Pal Sure Light, (mine came from Glow-Bug when they were on sale for $14.50), just has 3 modes, (low, high and flash). It's a super little light and for less than the Pak-Lite, there's no comparison!

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I recommend the PALight as well. I agree with Gene on the Pak-Lite. It's overpriced rubbish in my opinion. I saw it advertised in C Crane's catalogue and laughed. No lanyard aperture or means to attach it to anything. No battery cover to protect the battery from getting wet. No protection for the exposed LEDs in case you drop the thing. Hmm..I'd rather get PALights instead.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cosmic,
You brought up even more good points as to why the PALight is superior! I just came back from a camping trip where I brought along both lights. The Pal had much more useful light and I was always worried about the Pak-Lite because it's so exposed to damage. The Pal has no such concerns. There is NOTHING except the weak 9V tabs to hold the Pak-Lite to the battery. If you're looking for the SMALLEST 9V light, this is it but that's all I can say POSITIVE about it.

Just think, many people paid from $39.99 through C.Crane for this thing!

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not an expert,(probally own less than 100 lights) but a PAL is the only one that I use every single day. What else can I say?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want a workman over a survival and emailed Palights about their availablity. They said soon and the blurb about being replaced with a Survival would be removed once they were in stock. This was over a month ago and I see the blurb is still there so maybe I'll email them again.

Anybody know of sites that still carry the workman?

paulr

Flashaholic
If the guy who runs PAL is reading this, I'd like to suggest making PALights that use two AA's (with a boost converter) instead of the 9V battery. The AA's use about the same amount of space, have more energy, and are much easier to find replacements for in some parts of the world. The boost converter isn't expensive. 9V batteries have gotten kind of hard to find because the cheap transistor radios that used to use them all use AA's now.

Longden

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a bunch guys!

I would've thought by now there'd be imitators or improvements, such as the AA idea, or waterproofing, or a better LED. Hard to believe the market's that small for a light this useful.

My daughter's dorm got caught in a power failure and she was the only one able to find her flashlight (PAL).