new flashlight mount at DX

qwertybob

Newly Enlightened
I will be sure to leave some comments once i receive them. Like Buck91 im currently using twofish blocks which i find great for helmet mounting and fine for use on road bike bars. On the mtb however the angle of the bars tend to aim the light off centre, this is not so much of a problem with two lights either side of the bars but with just one light its not ideal.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
qwerty, what bars are you running? I have a number of mtb and hybrid bikes with everything from flat bars to 2" risers and cannot say this has been an issue for me. Maybe on a sweepback, but even then up next to the stem is pretty horizontal. :confused:

qwertybob

Newly Enlightened
I have a garmin edge 705 mounted on the stem which means the light has to be mounted a little distance from the stem. The light is approximately 5-6 degrees from forward (slight forward sweep) so when running a single bar light it leaves one side of the track slightly favoured, i find myself subconsciously compensating with helmet lights on the lesser side which gives me a sore neck :eek:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got ya... I mount mine right up next to the stem (typically) and it works quite good.

That said, this is for commuting or light riding. If I'm expecting to be out on trails after dark I rock out my modded cat eye on the bars with something twofished to my helmet.

luc

Newly Enlightened
sturdy? Re: new flashlight mount at DX

Somehow, I wish they would have spent 10 cents more per mount to make it appear a little sturdier than their current idea of "sturdy".*
I guess it is one of the best options currently?

mannnu81

Newly Enlightened

fightnut

Newly Enlightened
Would this fit OS (31.8mm) bars?

Unfortunately no. Not unless you put it on the outer end of the bar where it's skinnier, but that certainly isn't ideal.

I have the twofish blocks and although they are a bit more expensive, they are truly handy. Fast and easy to put on/take off. Fit either size bars, and hold various size lights. Plus you can use them on your helmet if you want, very versatile.

I will eventually try one of the new mounts in the original post, just because. I would suggest using a piece of old inner tube around the bars first, so that maybe it won't have to be tightened so much and risk breaking. I use this method on all bar mounts anyway. Helps keep things in place.