nitecore d10 question

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested in the Nitecore D10, and am curious how it compares output wise on a NIMH AA battery to other lights, like maybe a Propolymer 4aa luxeon, or a Surefire G2. I know the G2 is rated at 60 lumens and the D10 is rated at 130. Is it really twice as bright?

Also is the UI nice or annoying?

--Matt

jblackwood

Enlightened
I have both the Q5 and GDP version of the D10 with my GDP being my EDC.
I can only compare to the lights I have so here goes:
vs. Taskforce 2C Cree, the D10 has a more defined edge on the boundaries of its spill, though the Taskforce has a much brighter hotspot and more even transition between spot to flood.

vs. the Husky 2D, the GDP is so creamy and even it makes me wistful that I spent $25 bucks on the Husky, though the Husky is much brighter with many more dark rings (yes I checked alignment). The Husky puts out more light and throws farther, but the GDP's beam profile is much nicer on a white wall.

vs. the Q5 D10- I think my GDP has a slightly purple tint but to me (at least) that's MUCH more preferable to the slightly green tint on my cree D10. Also, the Q5's spill isn't as bright. This might be because of the cree ring (only one). The Q5 throws slightly better and its hot spot seems brighter, but like I said, the GDP is my EDC, despite the tint, which I actually like!

To each his own, YMMV, etc., etc.

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
Interesting... So does your GDP have the "whine" problem?

the tint thing turns me off, but then again I love my streamlight microstream and it has pronounced tint issues, it's quite purple.

Maybe I should do the D10 GDP.

THis light's been out a while. Is there another pending advancement and a new level of LEDs coming out that would make me wish I had waited?

-Matt

jblackwood

Enlightened
Funny thing, my whine problem came not from the GDP, but the Q5. Strange, huh? My GDP has been nothing but marvelous since the day I got it and I just put the clip on. Now it sits on the outside of my pocket and I can't even feel it weighing me down anymore sitting in the bottom of my pocket! The tint is only purplish next to the Q5.

jblackwood

Enlightened
Depends on your age. Have you ever heard the phrase "the music's not too loud, you're just too old?" Well it's actually this high frequency sounds which go first. This whine is one of those sounds. If you can hear those high pitched ring tones, then you'll be able to hear this. Buy it from 4sevens and you won't have to worry, though. I heard it and it was a deal breaker for me. They didn't hear it but immediately sent me a new one anyway (Q5). Lots of people detect it but aren't bothered by it. I think the beam profile is just so nice, esp. from something so gosh darned small!!!

Art

Enlightened
Depends on your age. Have you ever heard the phrase "the music's not too loud, you're just too old?" Well it's actually this high frequency sounds which go first. This whine is one of those sounds. If you can hear those high pitched ring tones, then you'll be able to hear this. Buy it from 4sevens and you won't have to worry, though. I heard it and it was a deal breaker for me. They didn't hear it but immediately sent me a new one anyway (Q5). Lots of people detect it but aren't bothered by it. I think the beam profile is just so nice, esp. from something so gosh darned small!!!

Im 24 and I can hear it but doesnt bother me... its only on high and with good batteries if it is not in good conditions it will not "whine".
Actually its a nice warning for low bat :laughing::crackup:

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
On nimh and lithium theres no whine at all like what other members have reported.......its a nice light though but not my edc.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey i would.......your not the first to have that problem.....hey you never know he might just send you a new one.

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
How does the D10 compare output wise to a Jetbeam C-LE v1.1 or 2.0?

Seems like the cree vs gdp emitter debate is pretty equal too. Too many choices.

--Matt

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad i dont have a JB or i would tell you.......i have been wanting to own a JB since forever, might have to ask the wife to get me one for Xmas.