KL4, KL5, KL6..........

desmondpun

Newly Enlightened
Personally, I think the quality of KL1 is not up to the usual standard of SF. There's no reason why they cannot make it better. Just look at Blaster II and Blaster VI. I suspect the coming KL? will not be better. Producing a good quality LED head is going to reduce (substantially?)their sales on battery and bulb. What do you guys think?

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I would not think they would intentionally smear their reputation by putting out an product that was less than their best effort.

You do bring up an interesting question though: What percentage of SF EBIT is on accessories vs actual flashlights.

desmondpun

Newly Enlightened
E2e US$95
MN03 US$17 = 17.89% of E2e
12 123A US$15 = 15.79% of E2e

Sounds familiar? Remember your ink-jet printer and the cost of ink?

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
desmondpun,I was surprised when I bought my KL1 at how purplish the led was. I thought for the price they charge for the add on, it could be better. I prefer a whiter ARC type light which is why I have a standard and premium LSH. Everyone talks about the versatility of the E2E/KL1 combo but for the price of that light, the only advantage it has is you can stick it in your pocket. Comparing it to my Blaster VI and Blaster II(same cost as the KL1 head) light for light it doesn't compute. If the new KL heads that surefire comes up with, are more of the same purplish color, I think people will be disappointed.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Keithhr,

I believe the first few runs of KL1's were bin 5 in color temp. I haven't heard of anyone reporting any of the 5W's in bin 5 color. My guess is that the new KL's will be bin 3 and 4 in color temp which would preclude the violet tint. We will all have to wait and see but I am optimistic here. The other consideration is that the new KL's seem to be all using reflectors which will likely blend the color for even more uniformity.

- Don

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the KL1 should get more credit. I suspect that the newer additions to the KL family are going to knock some socks off!

desmondpun

Newly Enlightened
Exactly my point, if ARC or Blaster, a small company can do it why SF with all the financial strength cannot do it?

I think the answer is they can but choose not to.

bwcaw

Enlightened
So what is wrong with violet tint? I like it, it is one of the brightest tints that you can get. I think that is what SF was shooting for, not whiteness. It sure beats the crap out of a greenish puke tint! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's all a question of personal preference. When I choose to put a light on something, I personally don't care to have to focus on the color of the beam as opposed to what I'm trying to light up.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the very least, SureFire didn't leave their customers with that aweful pee green tinge. I'd sooner go towards the purple tinge than the other side of the spectrum.

Some here have echoed the sentiments that the more current KL1s are whiter than the early models, but it remains to be seen if they can keep the QC on their end equal to Arcs.

I think when October or so comes around, you'll see better QC for the 5Watters where SF can reasonably get whiter LSs in the KL4-7s....

ewick

Enlightened
I hope this isn't a stupid question, but if they are using reflectors, then the LEDs are side-emitters, right? If so, are side-emitters as shock-resistant as the other flavors?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, yes. Any LS (or leds) should be shock resistant as long as you did not smash the led die straight into a concrete. However, I don't think SF will use reflector, that is, the LD or HD that is gonna be used. However, I am not 100% sure on this and thus, I stand corrected.

ewick

Enlightened
shiftd,

Thanks for the clarification. It's just that the pictures in the 2003 catalog sure make the new KLxxx series look as if they're using textured reflectors. But I guess as prototypes they're are all subject to change before they're finally released.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if the new KLxs are SE-based, but they don't have to use SEs if they're using reflectors... In fact, from Mr Bulk's mods, the SNII's better with an HD than it is with the SE of the SN...

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh right, Falcon. Thanks for bringing that up for reasoning.

SUREFARC

Enlightened
Yes they are using reflector and I do hope it's gonna be HD and the color will hopefully be much whiter.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's hoping for an X3 binned KL4...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer X4 KL4. A 3 colored will slightly tend toward yellow while a 4 will be toward blue. I prefer cool than warm. either way, I hope they will come soon.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
desmondpun said:
Personally, I think the quality of KL1 is not up to the usual standard of SF. There's no reason why they cannot make it better. Just look at Blaster II and Blaster VI. I suspect the coming KL? will not be better. Producing a good quality LED head is going to reduce (substantially?)their sales on battery and bulb. What do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

When the KL1's were being made, Q5 was deemed the LED of choice by many as it was furthest from the "pea" green and bright. This is the LED that SF used. I am real curious as to how you suggest SF could make it better??!? Now I agree that as we have all come to know the Luxeons, bin 4 and even 3 have come out as the color temp preferred by most. If you mean SF makes the KL1 better by opting for this bin color, I understand your statement.

I think as the LED's come into play they will of course displace incandescents and this will be true for SF lights in luminous output ranges where the LED can be harnessed and the light directed.

Perhaps I misread your comments but it seems that you are saying that SF is intentionally making a product substandard so as not to cut into their existing lines of Incandescent offerings. I think this is a crock and far from the case.

Keith commented on the price that SF charges for the KL1. I am missing something here as well as I can't think of any other manufacturer who has current controlled LED bezels selling for around $50???

The price is too high and the quality is substandard? There is a thought that this will continue on with the new KL's? I haven't a clue on price but from the samples I saw, quality will be there and then some!

- Don