Continuous Running... Damaging to LED?

Robotack

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks. This is my first post here in months. Just a quick question...

I have a LED in my 3D Maglite. I threw my Kitbag into my locker in work and went away for a few days... When I started work the other night I took out the 3D and noticed that the batteries were shot. Obviously something was pressing on the button.

I'm wondering if 3 days constant running like that would have any adverse effects on the LED? It seemed dimmer than usual for a while after I replaced the batteries.

Thanks.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
is it the mag LED drop-in, or an alternative? The mag drop-ins have pants heatsinking, but make up for it by throttling the LED so continuous running is fine. A third party LED drop-in may not have this protection, so you could have damaged the LED.

Well heatsinked, LED's can run for many years continuously with no adverse effects.

Robotack

Newly Enlightened
It's an original Mag drop-in.... I don't understand this bit

"The mag drop-ins have pants heatsinking, but make up for it by throttling the LED"

??

Badger_Girl

Newly Enlightened
It's an original Mag drop-in.... I don't understand this bit

"The mag drop-ins have pants heatsinking, but make up for it by throttling the LED"

??

The heatsinking is weak, but it's not a problem, because the output is limited in order to keep the temp in check....I think that's what it means.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The heatsinking is weak, but it's not a problem, because the output is limited in order to keep the temp in check....I think that's what it means.

:thumbsup:

Throttling decreases the power going to the LED, preventing excessive heat buildup (but also decreasing light output), which would damage the LED. This is necessary because there's nowhere for the heat to go with the magLED's; lights designed around an LED normally have good heatsinking, allowing the heat to be dissipated to the surroundings quickly, and preventing it building up in the LED. However, the original mag was designed around a incandescent bulb, and the LED upgrade shoehorned into it, so there's no heatsinking to speak of with a magLED.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED will be fine. It's the alkaline batteries you have to worry about. A friend of mine has already ruined two flashlights like that.

maxa beam

Banned
The LED will be fine. It's the alkaline batteries you have to worry about. A friend of mine has already ruined two flashlights like that.

Oh... The horrible memories

Batteries cracking open like walnuts under an elephant's foot

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
alkaline batteries have a tendency to leak, often ruining the light/equipment they're in at the time. You can use LSD (low self discharge) cells such as eneloops, or duracells which have the best leak replacement policy. Energisers are especially bad for leaking IMHO. Alkies are more likely to leak if discharged. The best plan is, if you aren't using a light for a long period of time, to remove the alkaline cells from it. That way if they leak, it's not too bad.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you explain the details, please?
They leak and get alkali goo (basic, not acidic) on the inside of your flashlight. If you're lucky, they won't get stuck.

(These were not plastic 2D incans, BTW - a ProPoly Lux 3C and a Fenix E0.)

Igor Porto

Enlightened
Yeah, alkalines leak. I'm currently restauring a beat up and leaked 10 year old 2D MagLite for a friend. There was alk acid all over it. Thorough cleaning brought it back to life.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seemed dimmer than usual for a while after I replaced the batteries.
I wonder if that "while" was the thermal protection circuit going back to normal. I'm not 100% on the working of that part of the circuit.

I don't think you did any damage, the way people use M@g's means that they have to be designed to take the abuse you did to it... Probably, once a week for a year. :laughing:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
But everyone's always called it battery acid, it's easier that way :p Don't let the facts get in the way of convention I always say :whistle: