The Fenix P1D

Badger_Girl

Newly Enlightened
Just hoping to start an informal and possibly brief conversation about the Fenix P1D. In my observations, this light does not get much attention here. Why not?

Along with my leatherman micra, my P1D is always in a pocket or handbag. I am a casual flashlight user...I have many, but don't use them daily for work or anything like that...so the P1D really suits my "EDC needs".

What does everyone think? Why doesn't this simple, quality, handy little light get more attention here? I rarely see a post where someone mentions it, much less endorses it.

BG

cruisemissile

Enlightened
hey there, I got one and liked it alot.
I got the P1D-CE (cree).
I think the fit and finish are good. I only had it for a few days when my wife stole it for her keychain. So I got a Lumapower Incendio for my keyring. unfortunately, the finish on the incendio does not hold up very well, compared to the tougher Fenix P1.
The P1, while its a twisty, can do a tailstand if necessary . I got mine for $49, which is less than you can get at some places.
But, I'm a fan , even if my wife is the one that uses it now.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first discovered Fenix, the P2D Q5 was a new addition (I think). I remember choosing it over the P1D because of the lower medium and low modes, along with the longer runtime in those modes. I don't think it's better or worse than it's siblings, but the P2D and P3D may just happen to have more popular output levels. That's my guess anyway.

paintballdad

Enlightened
When I stumbled on Fenix flashlights a few months ago I contemplated getting the P1D but ended up with a P2D Q5 instead. The P2D won over the P1D because of the extra levels and clicky interface. Both are great lights, but as my taste in flashlights have evolved, I find myself wanting a P1D. Simple twisty interface, usefull light levels and smaller form in a CR123 light and at about $50 a bargain in my opinion. I just wished Fenix would update it like the L0D and remove the SOS and strobe.

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
I had one a year ago with the LEAF body and regretted selling it. I ended up buying another P1D Q5 and its my EDC. I love this light.

Badger_Girl

Newly Enlightened
When I stumbled on Fenix flashlights a few months ago I contemplated getting the P1D but ended up with a P2D Q5 instead. The P2D won over the P1D because of the extra levels and clicky interface. Both are great lights, but as my taste in flashlights have evolved, I find myself wanting a P1D. Simple twisty interface, usefull light levels and smaller form in a CR123 light and at about $50 a bargain in my opinion. I just wished Fenix would update it like the L0D and remove the SOS and strobe.

IMO the SOS and strobe mode are a non-issue in the P1D. You can cycle through the 3 brightness levels without ever having to see the SOS and strobe. Just leave it off for slightly longer (to reset UI) if you want to change from the low setting.

tempman

Newly Enlightened
My P1d-ce is one of my most appreciated lights I realized a few days ago. It feels like one of those lights that is unbreakable. I am always amazed by the output vs. size with this light.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been two years since it's introduction. Could be why it's not spoken of much anymore. There's always new lights coming out for people to talk about.

I have four of them in different configurations and like them all.

Badger_Girl

Newly Enlightened
It's been two years since it's introduction. Could be why it's not spoken of much anymore. There's always new lights coming out for people to talk about.

I have four of them in different configurations and like them all.

Makes a lot of sense and something I had not thought of...thanks.

Thanks to everyone for the input so far.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mentionned it in a few posts already, it's my EDC, always in my coat-pocket.

I got one for 29.99 € because it has a stripy finish (a natural one). As I was astonished by the output, I got 3 more to make christmas presents out of them. Everybody should have such a power-dwarf! :cool:

For me, it isn't a rival for the P2D or the PD20, which are slightly longer and mostly have SMO reflectors. My P2D is in my pocket when I'm on caching tour, if I know I will use a light, I preffer a clicky. The P1D is in my coat for unplaned use... :thumbsup:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The P1 series is very popular here, it's one of those classic lights that everybody has at least one of (I own two). A guaranteed size-to-output crowdpleaser every time :thumbsup:

StarHalosP1D.jpg

paintballdad

Enlightened
IMO the SOS and strobe mode are a non-issue in the P1D. You can cycle through the 3 brightness levels without ever having to see the SOS and strobe. Just leave it off for slightly longer (to reset UI) if you want to change from the low setting.

You're absolutely right! I guess i'll have to get one now :D. Thanks

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It's a Tritium key fob. Tritium is a radioactive form of hydrogen gas - Its radioactivity is extremely weak, it doesn't even register on standard detecting equipment, however if you put some of it in a sealed vial with some phosphor, it's just powerful enough to cause the phosphor to glow. Since Tritium has a radioactive half-life of 12 years, that means the now-glowing vial will glow nonstop for many years! It's like a halloween glow stick that never dies, or glow in the dark material that never needs any light or charging. If you put one of these vials on your flashlight, you'll be able to quickly and easily find your flashlight in complete darkness, even years from now, with no maintenance of any kind needed on the vial.

You can find many different shapes, sizes, and colors of tritium available on the CPF Marketplace. The tritium vial I use on my Fenix P1D pictured above is a Merkava DIY II Glowring (http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=182082), a vial in a high-impact tube that's then put on a keyring - anything that accepts a keyring, I can now have a tritium vial on, very handy!

Here's a Tritium show & tell thread, lots of photos of Tritium mods: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/204484

bluecrow76

Enlightened
I originally bought my P1D-CE's to keep in the cars as emergency lights. Then I realized, why do I need to keep a flashlight in my car? At any given time I've got at least two on me and at least two more in bags nearby, with plenty of spares in the bags. They ended up sitting on the display shelf for quite a while, as I tended to favor my more recently purchased lights (Novatac 120P, Nitecore D10/EX10).

On last Halloween, I used the strobe on them to light up my car during a trunk-or-treat. I checked on them a few minutes after turning them on and they were pretty warm, so I used my Novatac instead for that job, although the strobe rate of the P1D was much better for Halloween. I didn't want to take the chance of any harm coming to them.

I'm a geek by nature and by trade, so I've also noticed a tendency towards more sophisticated (some would say programmable, some complicated, some stupid) lights with in depth user interfaces. I like being able to buy a new light and play with it for a while and take time to learn and program it, as opposed to getting a new light, turning it on at a wall or the back yard, making some comparisons, and then its entirely utilitarian from that moment on.

I've also found the entire Fenix line (especially used ones) makes great bait for unsuspecting flashoholic prospects! The light size and output level ratio of the P1D was always impressive to observers.

The P1D was a great little light that helped feed my enthusiasm as a budding flashaholic. The only real reason I have moved to other lights is for explicit support of multiple battery chemistry's. The P1 and P1D lights were the only ones I never had an issue with running rechargeable batteries on. They were just sold to fund an LF3XT which is now resting patiently under the Christmas tree! I was a good boy and didn't even open the USPS box when it arrived! :D

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Nake basically nailed it. There has been a lot of new lights and it seems like most of the conversation naturally gravitates to the recent products. One of the reasons is they tend to have the recent LEDs (like R2, Warm Tint, P7, etc.) and often incorporate enhacements that many here have been looking for.

Some one asked the exact same question about the L2D just two days ago.

The P1D is a really a great light. I'm using my main one (Silver Q5, which were quite limited) with an after market body from Leef that has a clickie switch rather than the twist. I don't mind the twist though it makes a very compact light. I think when the P1 and P1D came out they were the smallest CR123 lights at the time (if not very close). When P1D was new it was regarded by many as a milestone light. I think this is why you can even find a Leef Body for it; it would not have been made unless the light was popular with some real flashaholics.

Enjoy the light! (I have 3 or 4 of them, and I also like the single level P1).

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 black Q5's with Leef bodies, a silver Q5 and a regular P1D model in the natural color. All are very nice, hard to beat for price/size/output ratio. The regular one was modded with a Seoul and has a smooth reflector, it is very bright and has one of the best beams of any light I have. I think they are nice lights and they were discussed alot when they came out. I also have several P1's as well, excellent host for a Seoul if you can get it open. Plus it runs a bit cooler as well. I wish Fenix would have the Seoul option on some of their lights myself as I am a fan of that emitter. You shouldn't have much trouble finding one Badger Girl.

Last edited:

waTom

Newly Enlightened
I use my P1D as a keychain light! I wouldn't trade it for any other light.
And it's the light I use most of the time.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I carried a Fenix P1D CE (Q4-based I believe) for about a year or so until it lost its spot on my keychain to the smaller and lighter Fenix L0P Q4 1xAAA cell light. I found the CR123 light just a tad too large in that capacity.

The smaller L0P Q4 is not nearly as bright, but very good, nonetheless. Also, it uses AAA cells which are very common and available in low-self-discharge NiMH.

I have re-deployed the P1D CE to my satchel that I bring to work - it acts as a backup light. I also use it when I need a lot of light for short intervals of time when the L0D Q4 doesn't have enough punch.

Latest posts