Why was the Surefire SW01 tail discontinued?

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interested in a little Surefire history - just out of total curiosity, does anyone know why Surefire stopped producing the SW01 tailcap?

I assume they were originally produced to make activating a light mounted on a rifle easier - so did tape-switches make them obsolete?

Or were they just updated and enhanced as SW02s (even though twist v. click essentially makes them very different)...?

Weird question I know but these tail-caps just seem to be so "special" to many CPFers.

Last edited:

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
I never quite figured out which one was which but the fat one looks really good and would be easier to opperate when mounted on a gun (or with gloved hands)

Size15's

Flashaholic
SW01 - momentary on/off push button pressure switch TailCap.
SW02 - rubber shrouded, momentary on/off push button pressure Click switch TailCap.

SW = Switch, WeaponLight

SureFire's current switch of choice for the Millennium Universal WeaponLights is the XM TailCap with it's socket for remote switch cable, and a momentary on/off push button pressure Click switch. This gives the user the most choice and the most redundancy.
In order to simplify their vast range of options SureFire decided to withdraw the less popular options such as the SW01 "P" and then the SW02 "C" WeaponLights. This made selecting a WeaponLight far less confusing, complicated.

brunt_sp

Enlightened
It's a shame because the SW tailcaps make torches like the M4 and M3 look and feel so balanced.
Recently with the addition of high power IMR setups there is even more desire for the SW01 because clicky tailcaps can't cope with the current.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the SW01 on handheld lights. When your hands are freezing and/or wearing thick gloves, twisting a tailcap becomes a bit of a chore. I can easily operate the weapon like this but the light really needs something like the SW01.

Regards,
Tempest

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
SW01 - momentary on/off push button pressure switch TailCap.
SW02 - rubber shrouded, momentary on/off push button pressure Click switch TailCap.

SW = Switch, WeaponLight

SureFire's current switch of choice for the Millennium Universal WeaponLights is the XM TailCap with it's socket for remote switch cable, and a momentary on/off push button pressure Click switch. This gives the user the most choice and the most redundancy.
In order to simplify their vast range of options SureFire decided to withdraw the less popular options such as the SW01 "P" and then the SW02 "C" WeaponLights. This made selecting a WeaponLight far less confusing, complicated.

Thanks Size15's - excellent information!