Help! follow-up: problem with "brightest LED light under $25 the Xmas before last"

sonicfury

Newly Enlightened
Help! follow-up: problem with "brightest LED light under $25 the Xmas before last"

Hey all, for a while now I've been planning on getting my dad a Duracell Daylite for Christmas until I read about it on this site. It seems it doesn't quite live up to what is advertised!

As you can imagine, this has put a big dent in my Christmas gift plans for my dad. I'm on a big time crunch here if shipping is required from an online store.

I need your help. My dad is crazy about powerful compact LED flashlights. He is involved enough with them appreciate good throw and optics.

I'm looking to stay under $25. Is the Daylite still my best option for that low price range? Please, bring on your suggestions!

Thanks so much!
Dusty

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Re: Help! I need the brightest LED light under $25 by Xmas.

I am not sure how the coleman 2AA cree compares you may want to read reviews on it here as it is in that range.

OCDGearhead

Newly Enlightened

Go to shiningbeam.com at look at some of their offerings.

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-74/Ese-LZ2-Stainless-Steel/Detail

I picked up an Ese stainless steel for about $30 including shipping. Fit and finish is outstanding for the price and is a very attractive light. 5 or 6 different levels and very bright. Very smooth and heavy in the hand for a AA light.

The Romisen lights they have upgraded with Cree q5 led's are a very good buy on the best in cheap lights

Battery Junction also has some good deals right now also for around $25

Ryanrpm

Enlightened

Shiningbeam is a good place to go. I've bought probably 40 of the RC-N3 Q5 lights from him and all are running strong. It is one of the better 2AA lights out there for the price.

If it was me in your shoes, I'd stop by at a local Home Depot and pick up the 4W Husky 2D flashlight for $24.99.

Here's a thread about it. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/209624

I bought 4 of them for gifts while having a 5th one for myself. It throws pretty far and is decently built. Make sure it is the 4W and not the 3W. It will have a silver bezel and black body and is shaped like a rocket.

I don't know if your dad is like many dad's and tries to get by using a $9.99 Rayovac flashlight that has a sputtering of yellow rays coming from it, but if you get the Husky, it will blow him away, especially by how far it throws and that coming from an LED light.

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened

Hey all, for a while now I've been planning on getting my dad a Duracell Daylite for Christmas until I read about it on this site. It seems it doesn't quite live up to what is advertised!

What turns you off about it Dusty?

Duracell Daylite 2AA
Regulated Circuit- No continuous visible fading of light
Good run time (>4 hr.)
BRIGHT! 80 Lumens
Water Resistant
Lifetime GUARANTEE
http://www.duracell.com/products/guarantee.asp
Less than $25.00
7" long
Reverse clicky
Can tail stand
Reputable company- Can be trusted
Available at Walmart- Buy it and try it same day and if you don't like it, take it back.
Nice Looking
Sturdy anodized aluminum.
Comes with batteries

-Hitec-

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1 rc-n3 q5

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast

I also have the RC N3 from Bryan, liked them so much that i had to get 2 more......very nice light with dual batt configurations as well......cant go wrong with that light.

Hellbore

Enlightened

Another vote for the Home Depot, Husky 4W tactical 2D light. The black one with the silver head.

The light costs $24.97, you don't have to wait for shipping, and it's brighter than the others mentioned here, and surely throws better. It out-throws most LED lights you can find. It is a throw monster.

Just look them over and make sure you pick one where the emitter is centered in the reflector.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened

Another vote for the Home Depot, Husky 4W tactical 2D light. The black one with the silver head.

The light costs $24.97, you don't have to wait for shipping, and it's brighter than the others mentioned here, and surely throws better. It out-throws most LED lights you can find. It is a throw monster.

Just look them over and make sure you pick one where the emitter is centered in the reflector.

Good reminder about the centered emitters. That is about the only bad thing about this light, is it's off centered emitter. Look for one that is centered as best as it can be. There is probably about a 40-50% chance it will be. Not good odds, but if you land on one, snag it up while you can. If not for your dad, do it for yourself!!

You won't regret it.:twothumbs

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Another vote for the RC-N3-Q5 from shiningbeam... I have trashed on this thing over the past year. Its been dropped probably over a dozen times, enough to gouge, ding and dent the body/bezel/tailcap everywhere. It has replaced my 6P as my go-to light on the job. My 6P is brighter but the little Romisen is so small and easy to carry. I got lucky on the tint lotto too. Mine is a little warmer and slightly more yellow than my other WC BIN'd Cree lights... without actually "being" yellow.

-135 Lumens/40 minutes - RCR123
-90 Lumens/2.25 hours - 2AA NiMH 1700 mah (YMMV depending on cell capacity)
-90 Lumens/60 minutes - Primary CR123 (YMMV depending on cell quality, I use cheap powerizers, $1 each)

Have Bryan express ship it to you, you'll get it quick!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia4sUpvnBSk

I use a water bottle cap to diffuse the beam...
dscn0377st6.jpg

dscn0391qt7.jpg

dscn0387gw0.jpg

dscn0379yr2.jpg

dscn0380go6.jpg

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1

flashlife

Enlightened

... My dad is crazy about powerful compact LED flashlights. He is involved enough with them appreciate good throw and optics. ...

Thanks so much!
Dusty
Hellbore said:

The HD Husky 4W isn't exactly Compact. Also, ugly as heck... :)

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is a great light, but you mentioned your Dad wants a compact light.
This light doesn't fit that requirement, but it sure is a great light to keep under the driver's seat in the car. (It's too big to fit in my glove compartment.) You can easily find any house address with this bright light.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened

If your dad is really into compact powerful LED's as you described and already has some, then it will be very hard to find something in your price range that will truly amaze him.

Maybe you could tell us what sort of lights he already has? WIth my current collection, there is really nothing compact and powerful for $25 that would interest me. But a $50 budget would open up a lot of possibilities. . .

sonicfury

Newly Enlightened

WOW, I love me an active forum!!! Thank you SO much everyone for your help!

From my interpretation of the BessieBenny's tables, the Romisen RC-F4 looked to be the best choice, this was my plan up until now. The RC-N3, seems to be more popular in this thread, and it has a higher Lumen rating. I'm assuming if I were to buy online, the N3 is my best choice for this price range? That's an icnredibly useful piece of information for me there.

If I were to not buy online, that Husky looks impressive. So really it comes down to the online payment and shipping arrangments I am able to work out with shiningbeam.com. I have some pending emails with Bryan, we'll see soon enough!

Hitec, nothing really turns me off about the Daylite I guess except the mixed feelings about the light from this forum.

Thank you again everyone, I'll keep you posted!

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well i hope you get an N3, your dad will like it for sure, if not i can send you one of mine so he can play and use it.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

My buddy was looking for one under $25 as well, but he wanted multi level. The only one I could find is THIS. I played with it a bit and it's decent quality for the price, and works well. I'm supplying him with cheap 123a so that's not a concern, but if your dad doesn't want to buy them online it could be.

sonicfury

Newly Enlightened

Welp I just ordered the RC-N3. Its ability to use either AA's or CR123 that really motivated my decision. That's a great option I know he'll appreciate.

Thank you ALL again for the incredible advice, this is a shining example of the utility of internet forums!

kramer, I'll be sure tell him about the bottle cap diffuser mod!

maxa beam

Banned

Welp I just ordered the RC-N3. Its ability to use either AA's or CR123 that really motivated my decision. That's a great option I know he'll appreciate.

Thank you ALL again for the incredible advice, this is a shining example of the utility of internet forums!
No problem. Feel free to come back to us with your other light related needs.