Nitecore D20 any good? How does it compare the the Fenix TK20?

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I am looking at buying a new 2xAA flashlight, and the D20 looks like a neat light. I like the pocket clip, Q5, and limited modes (without the useless SOS, strobe, or 50 brightness levels you have to click through). I don't like that some people are saying it turns on in their pockets just by momentum of the battery tube. Is this a common problem?

I have a JETbeam JET-III ST, and love the IBS system; how does the nitecore SmartPD system compare? Is it fast and intuitive, or slow and clumbersome?

I was also looking at the Fenix TK-20, Fenix E20, and JETBeam JET-I IBS.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say the smart PD is fast and intuitive :)

Personally I'm not too fond of the D20; it's lost the essence of the D10/EX10 IMHO, and the L2D is more efficient, though lacks a low low.

What are you going to use the light for?

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I use my lights mostly at work for looking into weldments (the brighter the better), checking for chips in the bottom of holes (need a low setting). I also hunt and hike a lot and use a flashlight a lot during those times, the choice of brightness vs. battery life is important here too.

I highly value a pocket clip, and am thinking of trading my JET-III ST for a standard JET-III just because it has a pocket clip.

Inliner

Newly Enlightened
Deffinitely have a look at Selfbuilt's review. I've been using my D20 on duty (LEO) for about two months. The clip came loose once and I ripped the threads out when it got snagged on the seatbelt. Got that replaced my 4 Sevens :twothumbs Then I just had to take the light apart and remove the factory lube and re-grease the piston o-ring. The light functions much more smoothly and quietly now. I've found the light on in my pocket only a few times, and I contribute that to my radio hitting it. Dropping it will usually turn it on however. That's not necessarily a bad thing though.... makes it easier to find!

It's still the only 2AA with a bezel down clip that I know of. It's surely not a thower, but I find it better for up close work when I want full power. If I could change something it would only be to make the clip more sturdy. It seems more like an afterthought addition.

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
Only 2xAA with a bezel down clip?
A little rough, but very similar to the D20's clip. I put this clip on my L2T (Luxeon 3 modded to SSC P4 T-bin) back when the L2T was state of the art!
DSC01990.jpg

Last edited:

Inliner

Newly Enlightened
A little rough, but probably sturdier than the D20's.... Nice Griptilian BTW

sport69

Newly Enlightened
Help From Nitecore D20 Owners/Opinions

I really like the looks of the Nitecore D20, I would like recent or old owner opinions of this light before I venture out and get one!

Tiff

Newly Enlightened
Re: Help From Nitecore D20 Owners/Opinions

I was thinking of getting one as I really like my D10 but I read some reviews on here and some posters have had problems with them in that if the tail gets banged the light comes on and stays on. I myself don't know if that happens but it worries me that the light would be dead when I need it most. It's a very sharp looking light.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Help From Nitecore D20 Owners/Opinions

I was thinking of getting one as I really like my D10 but I read some reviews on here and some posters have had problems with them in that if the tail gets banged the light comes on and stays on.
It can happen, but I solved the problem by simply keeping mine in momentary/twisty mode (unscrew the head one full turn).