VB-16 3w LED mod to improve brightness & efficiency?

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, what mods would you suggest to improve brightness and efficiency of a VB-16 3watt LED flashlight. I bought a couple of these a couple years ago and am wondering if they're worth upgrading or if I should just replace them with something like a Fenix LD20. The VB-16 lights are so much dimmer than my Fenix L1D and P2D, that they don't get used much anymore. The modded or new lights would be used on a daily basis and would be left in the car during the day in both the summer and winter, so they would need to be able to tolerate temps from 0F to 95F. I have access to Energizer Lithium L91 locally at SAMs Club for less than $1.50 each, so AA powered lights are a good option for me.

I've never modified any lights, so I'm not sure if I even have the skills to mod this light.

If a worthy mod costs nearly as much as a new light, then it may make more sense to go ahead and get a new light.

Thanks in advance for you insights and suggestions.

allthumbs

Newly Enlightened
Yes more details please. There are 4 versions. Versions 1 and 2 have a twisty tailcap, 3 and 4 have a clicky. Clone versions 4 have 2 buttons and a clicky tailcap. true version 4 by waion have 3 buttons (separate strobe button) and a clicky tailcap. I belive all can be upgraded but because of reflector design they do better with SSC leds. Found the modding link.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/160784

Enjoy

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes more details please. There are 4 versions. Versions 1 and 2 have a twisty tailcap, 3 and 4 have a clicky. Clone versions 4 have 2 buttons and a clicky tailcap. true version 4 by waion have 3 buttons (separate strobe button) and a clicky tailcap. I belive all can be upgraded but because of reflector design they do better with SSC leds. Found the modding link.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/160784

Enjoy

Thanks. I just posted on your linked thread.

Mine is the 3w with a tail clicky and two smaller buttons up near the head.